DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Self employed

Posted by Linda Caird-193057 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gofrance - 14 years ago

Hello, everyone. I had another question. I e-mailed APCE.fr and asked about being a freelance writer. They didn't mention USSRF, but did say I should register as an artiste-auteur, and directed me to agessa.org. Does this mean I would go through Agessa? Or go through both Agessa and USSRF? They also said a foreign trader's card is not required for the artiste-auter. I'm so lost... Anyone know specifics of working as a writer?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chatterbox-190278 - 14 years ago

Sorry, got distracted...

Once registered, it took about 2 weeks for envelopes to start arriving, and the first payment is due 3 months from the official "debut d'activite" ( you can register at URSSAF no more than 14 days before the official start date).

There seem to be fixed "forfait debut d'activite" for both Allocations Familiales and CSG-CRDS totalling 766 Euros for the year, payable in 4 instalments - I think that from the 1st January this year, these can be deferred and then paid off over subsequent years - again, someone help me out here...

So far that's it. Hope it's helpful (and accurate) - Meantime, Good Night

Sally

Sorry no image available

Linda and Kjlag

I'll send you a personal email with more personal stuff - I really don't know the right way of doing things - I asked as many people as I could think of who have experience professionally or personally then finally crossed my fingers and took the plunge. So far,so good...

URSSAF is at 152 avenue de la Californie (approx 1km beyond Parc Phoenix, and one street inland from the Promenade des Anglais), no appointment is required, but there is no coffee machine so go prepared to wait. I took the usual: birth certificate, marriage certificate, passport, EDF bill etc and didn't need them but I would recommend taking it all anyway to be on the safe side.

Once registered, it took about 2 weeks for envelopes to start arriving,

Sally

Sorry no image available
Posted by kjlag-193902 - 14 years ago

Sally,

I too was given the option of looking at the Micro system for my venture, however I run a very small concern and can deduct a lot of expenses against tax.  At least with the Micro system you don't have to worry about books and TVA etc.  How quickly did you receive the information from URSSAF once you had been to Nice? as I have been considering doing it myself as Accountants can be expensive.

Kevin

PS- What do you do?

Sorry no image available

I went to URSSAF equipped to spend the day, with a file full of important papers "just in case" and my chequebook. In the end I was given a form to complete, which I didn't have time to do before my number was called. No matter. The information I had filled in was transferred to a computer, then printed out in duplicate, one for URSSAF to process, the copy for my file. I was in and out in 30 minutes following the easiest piece of beaurocracy I've encountered in France. No money changed hands that day. 

Since registration, I've automatically received communications from the statutory bodies (social security/ pension etc) and finally a bill for my first trimestre.

kjlag - my understanding is that, costs (including accountancy and rent) are not deductible unless you opt for "frais reelle". As a micro-entreprise, following "frais simplifie" means a fixed percentage is calculated before being subject to tax but no further deductions are considered. For my situation where I don't anticipate earning big money and where my training is my biggest asset rather than goods, the advice given (by the accountant) was to go for frais simplifie and cut out the accountant and his costs! Mind you he also prefered being paid in cash and kept the paper on which he had made his notes and recommendations....hmmm

I'm sure someone out there can clarify this point - before the next "declaration des revenues" is due, please

Sally

Sorry no image available

A good accountant can also help you out here.  I had a meeting with one today who can handle all of the necessary paperwork and registration etc with all the authorities so you don't get in a muddle. Of course it costs but you can write off the costs against your tax.

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 14 years ago

Hi, URSSAF: http://www.urssaf.fr/

Sorry no image available
Posted by gofrance - 14 years ago

Hello. Do you happen to know if URSSAF has a Web page?

Sorry no image available

I too am self employed.  You will find some very useful links on these pages.  Do a search on the forums and they will lead you to a number of other pages.

My understanding is that if you are self-employed you need to apply to URSSAF with whom you can register.  They are in Nice.  They collect you contributions and give you a CAF which is for your benefits and allowances and they can then advise you which CPAM you need as I believe they allocate one for you.

Their websites are all in French, however if you cut and paste sections from there into a translation web page you can usually make out what is required.

Let me know how you get on as I have yet to do mine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by angeldude-190234 - 14 years ago

Hey

check out this link, we are a group of people meeting up to discuss our options

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_ID=24272&forum_ID=7&cat_ID=2&topic_Title=Setting+up+a+business+in++France%3F+let%27s+meet+up

come meet us

maybe we can help each other