DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Setting up a business in France? let's meet up

Posted by angeldude-190234 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Catalyst-247379 - 8 years ago

Jenn,

you are responding to a two year old posting :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jendubois79 - 8 years ago

HI! I would be very interested in meeting up to disuss options. Have you set a date/time? Please feel free to contact me at 06 80 86 63 61. Jenn

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 10 years ago

Putting aside the business that one runs, and there everyone has to find his or her niche in whichever market.

I think that the biggest problem in doing business in France is not running the business: a business is a business whether in Provence or Surrey, but dealing with the administration.

I think that what many budding entrepreneurs would like is a formula for running a "low cost" (low overhead) business whilst remaining "legal". There is a great deal of false information out there telling people what they must have and must do, but in reality can do without.

I particularly picked up on the point earlier about not having to have an accountant. It is true that in England business people take on accountants on the basic premise that they will save them more than they charge: sadly my experience is that in France you pay them just to keep you out of trouble with the tax office.

It would be good to here from anyone who has had good or bad experiences with accountants, or if they know of any anglo saxon minded sort that can actually help reduce the tax bill at the end of the day.

Sorry no image available
Posted by repairtec - 10 years ago

Apologies for the errors in the text as I have a keyboard mismatch and I can't find the edit function.

Sorry no image available
Posted by repairtec - 10 years ago

Hi PDG thanks for the compliment. I've now logged up 31 years of experience running a business in France. Contrary to what people think I love France and its people and I'm married to a French girl and come in contact with the public and professionals on a daily basis but you have to understand right from the start you cannot run a business here on an Anglo Saxon method at least as far as your customers go. There is swing towards using Anglo Saxon merthods that have been Frenchified but the whole business atmosphere is different. To be a success you must do something that your cusdtomers can't find anywhere else and preferentially typically Britisdh either by the type of commerce or the special skills you have e.g some obvious examples 1. A Fish & Chip Shop 2. Tea Shop 3. British Food Shop 4. English Book Shop 5. Anglo French Job Shop 7. Anglo French Technical Traduction Service 8. UK France Biz Telephone Liason 9.UK Firms Representation etc, don't try and poach on typically French things. No matter how well you know people either as friends or business associates you will allways be considered odd, crazy or fadas but it a nice way. Nobody will let you or expect you to be the slightest bit french so you must develop the habit of playing the role they like you best in. If I was starting all over again I would still be based in France but do business uniquely with the UK Germany and Spain via the web.

Repairtec

Sorry no image available

Repairtech's posting in 2006 was inspiring... Can one really live without an expert comptabe in France? or at least just have a minimum service reasonably priced once a year job?

I currently pay my expert comptable €120/month for doing very little: I know how to use a spread sheet, but was told at the time that I "had to have one"...

Sorry no image available

Jean-François,

Your idea for an English business club is good: the mentality between English company set-up based on simplicity and low cost compared with the French concept of complication, with every step costing something, and then the bills coming in from the state before you have had your first customer is alarming.

There are some low(er) cost alternatives: small things like Profession Liberale not having to pay the cost of creating an EURL and not having to hold and expensive business account in a bank etc. that is never explained properly by all the middle men trying to get their cut.

Have you got a site going yet? I would love to start off a few "topics" (gripes)...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jean-François06 - 11 years ago

I meant you can use this email address to send me all your questionsbusinessclub.riviera@club-internet.frAll your questions will help me to set up better information meetings for all.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jean-François06 - 11 years ago

Hi everyone,I'd like to start a kind of "Riviera Business Club" where people could attend information meetings in English about how to set up a business in France and also share ideas and experiences, meet other people, find new business networks and have a few drinks.I'm opening here a free FAQ box for those who have any kind of questions about setting up business in France (social charges, laws, what kind of company...).Then I'll let eveyone know where, what, when I'll organise information meetings.If you are interested, please send your questions to J-F :businessclub.riviera@club-internet.fr

Sorry no image available
Posted by janefryer-207371 - 12 years ago

Hi there, The redcotes evenings will continue plus other folk arranging things&gt1; See Network Riviera website under SIG groups once a week get-togethers.Jane