DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Social Security/ mutuele

Posted by Cwebster-320340 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

Basically the social security number & the health cover that comes with it is for peole who have a right to live & work here & is generally dependant on having paid in some contributions (tho I believe there is a minimum cover for people on chomage & other social benefit situations)

Unless you are a refugee demanding asylum or are asking to come here to be reunited with your otherwise legal family member I dont think there is any state  cover for people in your situation. You need to take out some form of private insurance to have your health expenses reimbursed or pay out of your pocket

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

Sorry, can't help you there. To be honest I didn't know it was possible to get a social security number in France without either working here and paying into the system, or having a reciprocal arrangement between France and your home country. I know that for some types of visa you have to take out private health insurance. But I guess it all depends on what type of visa you have and what country you are from. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cwebster-320340 - 5 years ago

What if with my visa I am not allowed to work in France? How do i get a social security number then.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

You get your social security number when you start work and start paying your contributions into the system. Either your employer gets it for you if you get a job, or you are sent it by your caisse when you register as self-employed or as a business.

Once you have your number and your attestation or carte vitale you can take out a top up policy if you want, you don't have to but it is wise.

Hope this helps.