Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


social security number

Posted by erika_nice - Created: 12 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by erika_nice - 12 years ago

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sorry no image available
Posted by ESS-209984 - 12 years ago

Your employer should fill out form 12011 - Demande d'Immatriculation d'un Travailler' which comes in 4 parts. They keep one part, and give parts 1-3 to you.

You then go to your local CPAM office (depending on where you live) armed with all the usual personal paperwork, ie copies of passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, utility bill to prove your address, last payslip, carte de sejour (in non European) and a RIB (as they will make any refunds directly to your bank account). Oh, and of course a good book to read while you are waiting.

From then, you will be covered from the day of your visit - and your carte vitale and permanent number will arrive within about 3 weeks.

If you just leave the employer to declare you, could take up to a year for the process to work and for you to get your green card - so be pro-active here and all will be well.

Good luck!

P.S. If you want to get other family members on your number (ie non-working partner, children etc,) don't forget to take their birth certificates along with you as well.