DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Taxback

Posted by Movin-312863 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 6 years ago

If you consider you are non-resident, but you earn income from France (e.g. rental income, interest), your liability to taxation is going to depend on the terms of any double taxation treaty between France and your home country.

In general, under the terms of most double taxation treaties, rental income is liable to taxation in the country where it is earned.

However, depending on the terms of any double taxation treaty between your home country and France, you may well then be entitled to partial relief or exemption against potential tax liablity in your home country.

In the case of UK nationals, under the terms of the double taxation treaty, partial relief on rental income is granted against liability to UK income tax.

What this means is that, if the tax you pay in France is greater than that you would pay in the UK, then no further taxation is payable in the UK.

Conversely, if you pay less in tax than you would pay in the UK, then you will get a tax credit against income tax paid in France.

As a non-resident, in order to declare your French earnings you need to contact the Centre des Impôts des Non-Résidents (CINR), TSA 10010 - 10 rue du Centre - 93160 Noisy-le-Grand Cedex.

The e mail address of the office for non-residents is: nonresidents@dgi.finances.gouv.fr. Tél: (+33) 01 57 33 83 00.

You can also download the tax declaration by visiting Déclaration De Revenu (Non Résident).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Floridian-312987 - 6 years ago

There is a tax office on the way up from Cannes to the motorway(I think it is next to the Toyota dealership), just walk in there and ask for your money back

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago

I wanted to claim back my income tax for the last 10 yearsYeah - me too! :-) Where do I sign up?
But seriously - really on what basis do you imagine this can be done? Those Ozzy/Kiwi/Brit schemes are based upon a P.A.Y.E. taxation scheme - i.e. one where you are paying income tax weekly/monthly for the full current year liability. There is no such scheme in France where we declare revenue and pay income tax upon it in arrears.
As I said, if you engage the authorities concerning your emigration, you will in all likelihood get an ADDITIONAL bill - you will certainly not get any refund.

Sorry no image available
Posted by guapa1 - 6 years ago

Maybe check with an accountant or your local impots office... i would be interested to know also.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Movin-312863 - 6 years ago

Hi Again . I wanted to claim back my income tax for the last 10 years, I think the system is called taxback in the UK and Ireland! I think most Aussies and Kiwis will know what I am taking about! Does this exist in France?Thanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago

Anything you paid in 2011 related to 2010 earnings. Unlikely you would have paid anything yet in 2012 (unless prélèvement automatique as Euorkiné suggests) but even if that were to be the case, then that relates to 2011 earnings and remains due for payment on whatever schedule you have arranged.
So, if you are leaving the country permanently in 2012, not only are you not entitled to get a refund - you are still obliged to complete your 2011 payments - so you actually owe the Fisc money.
You should go to the tax office and ask for a "quitus fiscal" - take your cheque book :-(

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 6 years ago

I think you will have to fill in a declaration for the part of year you lived here, at the appropriate time (ie in march if you left in 2011, or march 2013 if you leave sometime in 2012) When your tax liability for the year in question is then calculated by the fisc, you will be sent a reimbursement for anything you have paid (for example monthly direct debits) over & above what you owed for the time you were here. If you pay by monthly direct debit at the moment you could try & cancel that & pay "au tiers" but you'd need to calculate which would give you the least outlay over the months until your declaration is processed.
It may be possible to arrange something better by going into your local office & trying to sort it out directl with them if you have proof of your leaving dates etc but I wouldnt count on it