DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Taxe d'habitation and taxe foncière

Posted by Exeter-253476 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

That's why they have been talking about it for a couple of years, to give them time to discuss it and decide on a fair solution before changing the legislation. But that was the last government; this one will probably not worry too much about whether it's fair or not!

It is a tricky one though - OK so you don't watch TV per se but do you never watch tv news items or documentary extracts on u-tube, news sites etc? I don't have a TV and don't want one, but I do sometimes watch important news events on my pc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Exeter-253476 - 5 years ago

All very interesting and helpful comments. I must say, however, that I disagree with the assumption that anyone in possession of ASDL would necessarily find the temptation to use it to watch television irresistible. It simply is not the case and I think that any future decision based on this assumption would be grossly unfair.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

I would cross out 2011 and write 2012, so that there can be no confusion later.

Re internet - the govt has for a number of years been discussing extending the tax to include computers capable of showing TV programmes, and this is pretty sure to happen either in 2013 or soon after - but it was specifically not the case in 2012. So if Exeter had no television set in his house on 1 Jan 2012, (s)he doesn't need to worry about internet. Once the govt has decided, the wording will be changed and I'm sure it will be all over the French newspapers!

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

Im not sure how well accepted saying that one doesnt have a TV is going down at the moment as they seem to have (justifiably) decided that if you have ADSL internet you can watch TV on your computer and therefore should be paying the tax.........

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 5 years ago

Yes, strange so maybe double-check in case they made the mistake and the wrong form as so many rules and regs. change every 6 months in France.  Were your conditions the same back in 2011?

Very old Bidefordian

Sorry no image available
Posted by Exeter-253476 - 5 years ago

Thanks, Fish 24. 

The reason for my confusion was that having applied at my local tax office in Nice for exemption from paying the 125 euros television "tax", I was given a form to fill in stating that I had no TV set in my residence on Jan1st 2011. I didn't notice the date till I got home. Rather odd...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 5 years ago

Hello, Exeter,

2012 (Owner or tenant on 1st January 2012)