DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Threats from a person who wanted to buy something

Posted by Alex349 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Earthling-217786 - 5 years ago

If all people could respect this simple and honest attitude, life would be so much better...

On the other hand in the last 4 days I have experienced 5 "no shows" or even apologetic communication from "definate buyers" for various objects using exactly the same sources of advertising media so this would be perfect in an ideal world if the "buyer's" adhered to the same attitude,sadly this is not the case.

1st come with the payment = first served if no deposit paid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nissalabella - 5 years ago

Very recently, I had a washing machine to sell, I used AI and Le bon Coin ads, somebody called very quickly, said that she wanted the machine but mentioned that she could not come before one week - 10 days! I said in that case I was going to hang on to it until she came to collect, she had my word I had hers, she came with her husband to take it, it was all based on confidence, both ways, and it worked, no contract, no signature, etc...
If all people could respect this simple and honest attitude, life would be so much better...
N.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lots-322716 - 5 years ago

My son's friend is always changing his car and really knows his stuff. He found his next 'perfect car' and drove about 250km to view it, having told the vendor that subject to a test-drive he would definitely buy the car.

Someone else turned up before him, the vendor thought it was the same person and sold the car to him. Son's mate was devastated but it was a mistake and he graciously accepted the vendor's profuse apology.

In France - no written, signed, contract of sale = no sale. Words count for nothing. You need a signed, bon d'achat/contrat de vente. Standard sales contract can be downloaded from the internat.

What plant is this lady on???

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 5 years ago

Hmmm - a little detail would help.
1) you agreed a price (presumably on the 1st call) and a date for exchange2) on or before the date she called and asked to delay to the following day (you don't say how you responded)3) in the meantime you sold to another party (we presume "meantime" means after step 2) above)
What DID you say to her at step 2) - Did you agree the delay? If you did then under most Anglo-Saxon interpretation you had a binding contract. (textbook offer & acceptance). Under Napoleonic law it is different and nothing to get worried about (gendarmes,etc) as they will tell the lady to get lost. And if she wants to pay lawyers, then unless the item was a bargain costing thousands of Euros, and unless there is proof, then it will not be worth her while. You probably owe her an apology though especially if you agreed the postponement.
I've sold (and often given away) tons of stuff on AngloInfo - wonderful service!. The lesson I learned is to tell everyone up-front - no reservations, first-come first-served.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alex349 - 5 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I know I handled it badly but it seems excessive to bring in lawyers. I will now think twice about using private sale sites.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nissalabella - 5 years ago

You could have called her to advise that whatever she wanted had been sold! But don't worry about threats from the gendarmes, they certainly have a million other thngs to do...
N;

Sorry no image available
Posted by Earthling-217786 - 5 years ago

No deposit exchanged hands,open market 1st come 1st served she cancelled so who's fault is that ?