DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Titre de sejour - does it still apply ?

Posted by James Morgan - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

jaaaine: It sort of makes sense, actually; if you're a non-EU citizen married to an EU citizen your carte de séjour says that you are a family member of that EU citizen and gives their ID number (if French) or carte de séjour number (if from elsewhere in the EU). Consequently, being the spouse of a non-EU citizen could well be one of those circumstances in which an EU citizen has to have a carte de séjour, so that the paper trail can come to a logical end... **************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by jaaaine - 14 years ago

Apparently, Eu citizens don't need a CdS anymore (since 30th Nov 2003).  You would only need one if you were married to a non-european

Sorry Bexx...but WHAT?????????????????????????????????? I thought it worked the other way around... (?)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

As it happens, some long-fingered gentleman nicked my papers the other day, so now I have to get a French licence too.

To make it more complicated, I had a Belgian licence and the Belgians say they cant give me a new one because I dont live in Belgium any more, but have given me an "attestation"

I phoned the prefecture in Nice, and the official said I needed to bring:

The belgian attestation.

The declaration of theft from the police station.

2 ID photos, no hat, no smiling

Passport,

Facture EDF

I should bring the originals and photocopies.

I'll let you know how I get on.  Have to get the passport replaced first.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bexx-192876 - 14 years ago

Hi

Apparently, Eu citizens don't need a CdS anymore (since 30th Nov 2003).  You would only need one if you were married to a non-european.

Hope that helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Blaster Bates - 14 years ago

Plus 5 photocopies of the first six pages of your passport,confirmation of your mothers maiden name etc where does it stop? This has now been going on for six months so my paper from the gendarmerie is now invalid.Thanks for the link.

Sorry no image available

and dont forget your facture EDFTony

Sorry no image available

Did you try getting the drivers licence at the Prefecture?  The person at the Mairie probably didnt know the law had changed.

This rather long link explains that you should go to the Prefecture anyway if the licence is lost, and that the receipt from the Gendarmerie is valid 2 months as a substitute.

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/ARBO/FXPAP225.html?&n=Vos%20papiers&l=NX21&n=Papiers%20du%20v%C3%A9hicule%20et%20permis%20de%20conduire&l=NXPAP118&n=Permis%20de%20conduire&l=NXPAP120

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Blaster Bates - 14 years ago

I myself am in a rather strange predicament. After doing a bit of brush clearance for somebody and setting fire to the great heap of grass, weeds branches etc.... I was more than dismayed to see my wallet containing all my papers (no passport luckily) burning merrily away. After avisit to the gendarmerie to report loss of papers and do the appropriate "declaration de perte des documents" started the rather long process of getting everything back.The prefecture however is refusing to replace my "carte de sejour" on the grounds that is no longer necessary but the driving licence authority is refusing to replace my driving licence because I cannot produce a valid "carte de sejour". I hasten to add that I exchanged my brit licence for a french one ten years ago when I received my first "titre de sejour". So for some the carte de sejour is needed some it isn't,the secretary in the local maires office was not much more helpful as the answer from her was "vous etes dans une drole de m++de la,bonne courage". Draw your own conclusions.