DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Translations of official documents

Posted by G&L - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

You don't TRULY need an official translation.  The actual legislative requirement is that the French fonctionnaire who needs to refer to your birth certificate must be able to UNDERSTAND it without confusion. 

Typically with UK certificates of a certain vintage, this was rendered very difficult by the pratice of certificates written in longhand.  In such cases having a translation into typography solved the problem.  For other countries, other problems arise - e.g. inability to understand the language used for the key fields or inability to even read non-latin alphabets.

Anyway the French fonctionnaire's rule is - if the original is clearly understandable, accept it.  If not, demand it be translated.  Unfortunately, if a translation is necessary - then it has to be through an officially recognised translator.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bonsai-186534 - 15 years ago

It's not the easy translation of the key words that you're paying for, it's the whole document including all the legal phraseology, status of the signatories, etc, etc. and the fact that it would be translated by an authorised professional in such matters who also certifies that it is indeed a true copy of the original. 

Five years ago, before coming out here, on the advice of the French Consulate in London, I had to pay some £80 to get five birth certificates officially translated by an "authorised" independent transalator, one of several on a list issued by the consulate.  This was indeed for social security registration purposes. 

What you have to bear in mind is that the French authorities take their paperwork very seriously indeed....

b o n s a i

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 15 years ago

In a way, you're paying for the "official stamp of accuracy". I paid E75 (I think it was) to officially translate a tiny little plastic credit card sized driving licence! (And the translator even left out a line - there were only about five - but I didn't risk telling her for fear that would further up the price). But, well, what can you do?

Sorry no image available
Posted by G&L - 15 years ago

you're kidding! when all that has to be translated is basically name and date of birth?

It seems a ridiculous amount of money for something i can do myself!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

Some official translators are among those listed at http://www.angloinfo.com/af/57/My guess would be "about €50", but you're best bet is to ask a translator!**************
Mike