DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

UK Passport renewal delays

Posted by Svein-197135 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ellieg-503118 - 5 years ago

Just to let you know that although myself and family are resident in France (& have been for 5 years), when it came to re-newing our passport - we used my brother's UK address on the form - and the 4 of us all received our new passports without any problem and at the same UK charge, not the exhorbitant fee they charge to go via the French embassy. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by selkie-187145 - 5 years ago

We also got the two we were waiting for 5 weeks after  the reciept of the documentation

Sorry no image available
Posted by Svein-197135 - 5 years ago

Just to let you all know my wife received her renewed passport today - a little over 5 weeks from posting the application.

Sorry no image available
Posted by F.Drebin - 5 years ago

Renewed my passport last year by booking an appointment and flying to London the day before. Picked up the forms from the post office and filled them out beforehand. There was a short wait (less than an hour) before speaking to one of the officials and submitting all the necessary forms and old passport.

New passport was picked up later that day and back on the plane to Nice!

All information about this on the passport office website. It was very easy, quick and efficient. Just make sure that all the forms are properly filled.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunshine city - 5 years ago

Thank you, that has cleared things up :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 5 years ago

Carly

If you look on the passport UK website, you can get a form for an application within the UK.  But beware, you have to book your appointment in order to pick up on the day.

So once you have filled in your form, you phone the UK number to get an appointment.  I would not advise booking a flight until you have the day of the appointment.  You also have to arrive at the passport office within 10 minutes of your appointed time.  So just be warned!

We considered doing it last time we were in the UK, but decided that it was too dodgy to do.  So we have gone down the Paris route, albeit that it may take a looooong time.  Just don't do it when you need to travel outwith Schengen.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

The embassy website says to allow 6 weeks minimum. I find the whole service very disappointing considering it charges more than twice as much as if you get your passport in the UK, AND has the cheek to rip you off for phone calls as well. Great service when you've had your passport stolen along with your credit cards and could do with a bit of support. Gone are the days when the British Embassy was there to help British citizens, seems it is there to rip them off now. Bitter? You bet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunshine city - 5 years ago

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me- I am finding the whole passport situation confusing and I don't fancy sending off my passport to the Paris embassy after reading about the delays. I am thinking of also flying to the UK just for the day to renew it, how did you go about it? I have read that it can be made within 4 hours but that the application form can only be picked up from the post office? what documents did you have to take with you? did you have to prove you lived in the UK as i have no bills in my name. So sorry for all the questions but any advice would be great :)

Thanks

Carly

Sorry no image available
Posted by allegra-216667 - 5 years ago

Thanks for that answer -in the past i've had mne back in four days!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by cheryl-180648 - 5 years ago

Hi,

Yes, the problem is Paris doesn't issue passsports anymore, they send everything to UK.  You are much better off going to UK and getting one done on the day.  The price they charge in Paris covers the flights!!!!  Me and my partner have done this, makes things much simpler.

I know it's no help to you, but hopefully others may try it if they are in a hurry or don't want to pay double to French embassy!

Cheryl