DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Vendeur à Domicile Indépendant (VDI)

Posted by loremi - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by loremi - 5 years ago

Yes the company pays the cotisation and we receive a proof of  income that we can declare in the impots.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 5 years ago

The main thing loremi is that SOMEONE has to be paying cotisations. So if you're not registered as a business, this means the company have to pay them. There are no exceptions in France, are there laughingboy??

Sorry no image available

Thank you so much laughingboy.  The status of VDI is really tricky, and I've been reading the FVD manual for weeks now and it confuses me more and more since it's in French.

It's a franchise business so I don't really know where I will put myself.  I'll just use the SIRET number of the company then to place ads.  

I would definitely read the links.

Thank you so much once again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

OK, well I've learned stuff I never knew before because I just read this http://www.urssaf.fr/employeurs/dossiers_reglementaires/dossiers_reglementaires/les_vendeurs_a_domicile_01.html and this http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/professionnels-entreprises/F23962.xhtml

and obviously there are lots of special rules about vdi. Apparently there are three ways it can be done - either you register with RCS or RSAC and set up your own business (which you have to do after the first 3 years), or else you don't register and you either do or don't work independently but either way the company pays your cotisations. So I guess you operate in one of the two latter ways. So I guess the question is, if you are placing ads on behalf of the company, and the company is paying for them, why not give the company's SIRET number? 

Hope that helps. Your company is quite right; read the links if you want to know more; and have a good day.

Sorry no image available

Hi Squeaky, thank you for you response.  I don't think the company is telling lies.  It's registered in FVD, has it's own SIRET number, is paying taxes, and it's been in business for 20 years and  have expanded in 20 countries worldwide.

I just want to know, as an individual, if I need to register myself to get a SIRET number, and where do I need to go. I'm in a commission-basis

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 5 years ago

loremi - the company is telling you porkies, I'm afraid. Listen and take on board what laughingboy advises.  He never fails to come up with sound, accurate advice.  Or you're salaried in France or you're registered and self-employed. There are no exceptions!

Sorry no image available

Thank you laughingboy

The company is registered here in France and I'm an independent distributor.  i've talked to the office and they told me I don't really need to have my own SIRET number since the company handles all the shipping, the VAT and the accounting.  

And that is so confusing since.  One person suggested that I register as BIC 

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

Yes, you really do. Every business that operates in France must be registered. You will then get a SIRET number and you can legally start advertising and trading.

Registering a business with INSEE is a totally separate matter from registering with a specific trade or industry body such as RCS, RSAC, the Chambre de Metiers or any of the other various bodies that depending on your activity you might or might not need to register with. 

The simplest regime to register under at the moment is Auto Entrepreneur but the disadvantage of this regime for vdi's is that you cannot offset expenses such as shipping, insurance etc - you pay contributions as a percentage of INCOME not profit. See http://www.lautoentrepreneur.fr/  but be aware that this regime may change in the near future.

It's illegal to run a business that is not registered, and it's also illegal to trade with an unregistered business, which is why - as you've discovered - you have to put your SIRET number on all your orders, invoices etc. Clients and suppliers can then, if they wish, check with INSEE that your registration is valid.