DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Visa for India

Posted by JohnD-185075 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

... sorry I pressed enter too soon ...

if I check requirements for a UK national (I'm assuming you are), resident in France, travelling to Holland, it says :

NATIONAL UNITED KINGDOM (GREAT BRITAIN) (GB)                   
RESIDENCE FRANCE (FR)           /DESTINATION NETHERLANDS (NL)  

VISA DESTINATION NETHERLANDS (NL)                              

...... NORMAL PASSPORTS ONLY ......                            
PASSPORT REQUIRED.                                             

which makes a nonsense of the Schengen agreement (which is nonsense anyway but that is another story!)

Based on my experience and knowledge of airline procedures,  I would say that if you tried to board a flight from France to Holland or vv, with a photocopy of your passport (certified if possible),  your UK Driving licence, and maybe something to prove your residence in France, such as a carte de sejour, or utility bill in your name,  you would have to be seriously unlucky for the airline not to accept you for transportation.

There is no passport control within the Schengen area,  so the final decision rests with the airline.  

For the benefit of others and my own interest, please let us know how you get on.

Sorry no image available

John

This is a huge grey area.  The Timatic database which the airlines use states under 'Schengen agreement':

THE AGREEMENT IS TO REMOVE IMMIGRATION CONTROL FOR 
TRAVEL WITHIN THE COLLECTIVE TERRITORIES OF THE MEMBER       
STATES. THIS CREATES A "BORDERLESS" REGION KNOWN AS THE      
"SCHENGEN AREA". THEREFORE, TRAVEL BETWEEN ABOVE MENTIONED   
COUNTRIES WILL IN PRINCIPLE BE WITHOUT DOCUMENT CHECK.       

In practice, for security reasons, the airlines will always ask for positive photo ID.  As UK does not issue national ID cards,  most UK citizens travelling between Schengen countries use a passport for ID.  However I've used my Spanish residence card and my UK driver's licence, both of which can cause raised eyebrows. 

If I check Timatic for the requirements for a French national travelling to Holland,  it states

TIMATIC-2 / 15OCT03 / 1147 UTC                                 
NATIONAL FRANCE (FR)            /DESTINATION NETHERLANDS (NL)  

VISA DESTINATION NETHERLANDS (NL)                              

...... NORMAL PASSPORTS ONLY ......                            
PASSPORT (VALID THROUGHOUT PERIOD OF INTENDED STAY) OR         
NATIONAL IDENTITY CARD (VALID THROUGHOUT PERIOD OF INTENDED    
STAY) REQUIRED.                                                

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rachael-180533 - 15 years ago

If you go to the India High Commission in London, early in the morning 7.30 ish, and stand in line, once the doors open (9.00am) you will get your visa within 35minutes.....  If you go later it could take an awful lot longer.

Or fed ex your pp to a friend and get them to do it for you. Though not sure if you have to be there too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 15 years ago

Unfortunately I can't use that Visum service, because I don't have a Dutch residence permit so it takes twice as long.MikeP - do you know how I can find out for definite if I can travel from France to Holland and back using my UK driving license as ID? I called the British consul in Amsterdam, who said I could probably do it, but I don't want to take any chances. I also called KLM, who said they didn't know. Normally I always have to show it when checking in at Nice airport, and the same at Schiphol (unless I use the self-service checkin, in which case I have to show my passport when boarding).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pearson-184565 - 15 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by nice_and_sunny2 - 15 years ago

hi, last year i was not able to travel to india for the following stupid reason.

i am british and a resident in france.  the nearest consulate is milan only a few hours drive.

i applied for my visa at the milan consulate, they kept my passport for two weeks saying there were processing problems.

the milan consulate did the following: they faxed my application to the indian embassy in paris, as i am resident in france, who should then contact the indian embassy in london to make sure that i am not a criminal etc...the paper chain broke down.

you should apply either in the country you are resident or the country where your passport is issued.  in your case if you apply in the uk then use a uk home address. 

if you apply to paris then you have to fill out an additional form that says that you are a uk national living in france. the minimum delay is 48 hours.

good luck... the whole stupid story cost me about 500 euros.

maybe the indian visa people will do a visa you can get at the airport as the indian economy missed out on 1500 euros that i would have spent in the three weeks in india.

i should have asked for my passport back after one week from the milan consulate. if someone keeps your passport for more then 72 hours in any embassy or consulate ask for it back.

good luck.

Sorry no image available

You could try this visa agency in Paris :

http://www.visas-express.com/

or a visa agency in Holland,  to do the footwork for you.  If you can't go in person, you have no option.  Do NOT trust your passport to the post or even a courier service if you are in a hurry.  I speak from bitter experience!

Why do you need your passport to travel between France and Holland? Any photo identity sholud suffice in the unikely event that you are asked for ID.