DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Voting rights for UK citizens abroad

Posted by Eddie1234 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ba&Ke - 5 years ago

I agree with Eurokiné but it's all a bit idealistic. People should vote in the country they are most actively involved in - the country in which they live, work, educate their children, buy food, etc. I'm a British citizen but have never lived in England and do not feel particularly connected. Having never been entitled to vote in the countries I've lived in, at the age of 45, I have never voted in a general election!

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

Never could understand why, as an EU citizen you cant just choose where you want to vote, I ve been here 20 years, work, pay taxes, own a house, the whole chebang but have to jump through admin hoops to become french in order to have a say in how things are done- makes no sense at all!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Eddie1234 - 5 years ago

I own a UK company, visit the UK at least once a month, pay UK income taxes, read UK news online, have many UK relations and friends. I am at least as well informed as most UK residents and better than many. To not extend the right to vote to those such as me that are still very connected to the UK is, in my mind, a travesty and an error and benefits no one. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by AnnaC-195945 - 5 years ago

I don't believe that people who have lived such a long time out of the country should vote. After such a long absence from home one loses touch with the current situation and relies on memory of what life was like at the time of departure from the UK.