DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

what's the real difference between a PACS and marriage?

Posted by Provenceliving - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Provenceliving - 4 years ago

BEST information (but in French), I have found so far: www.service-public.fr 

The COST difference can vary between a PACS and a MARIAGE. The PACS will cost 233.22 euros (includes tax) at the Tribunal d'Instance. A marriage will cost 125 euros PLUS notaire charges of 195 euros PLUS  the mairie's charges for publicity and procedure (for the civil ceremony) which is even more money. So, to conclude: a PACS would be much cheaper. Just answered my own question but I do hope it helps others in case they were, too, wondering! :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Provenceliving - 4 years ago

Thank you v much for that! I understand the difficulties with divorce as opposed to simply 'cancelling' a PACS but what I'm curious about is whether there is any difference in the papers that need producing (requirements) and COST difference. Is there something EXTRA that needs to be furnished for a marriage for eg? And does it cost MORE? (I'm talking about the charges for the Tribunal d'Instance for the PACS as opposed to the cost to the mairie for marriage...) 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rivera-Mode - 4 years ago

Sorry, 4got to add.

There is even a link there from the French government in English explaining it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rivera-Mode - 4 years ago

This google search will answer all your questions (in english) - "what is the difference between pacs and marriage". So simple.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ibseur - 4 years ago

PACS are civil unions and they apply to people of the same sex as well as to traditional couples.

Two people who live together decide to get PACSed with a simple signature and a stamp from their local Commune.

In order to undo a PACS, you need to go back to the Commune and de-register.

The difference is that you do not need to go through a DIVORCE, you are not bound by a marriage.

A divorce would take you 3 years, whereas cancelling a PACS would take you a few hours.