DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

where to buy Turkish Lire

Posted by GCLME - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jeffss - 5 years ago

Turkish lire most of the time not even you need.Everybody take Us Dollars or Euro in Turkey.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GCLME - 5 years ago

Thanks for taking the troubble to post. I'll try some of the banks here tmrw as I arrive late on sat night and my hotel is in middle of nowhere. airports and hotels usually don't give a good rate. will let you know how I get on i.e. if it is a restricted currency. They're soon to join the EU and the Eurozone...well good luck with that then! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 5 years ago

Hi

I am interested in your post, because I am going to Turkey next week & have a similar problem about where to get some lira.

I had a quick look on Tripadviser & came up with this:

Just bring a small amount of lira with you to get you started(40-50€ worth)and then change the rest in the resort as you need it.The rates are always better here than outside the country.Banks and the post office(PTT) offer the best exchange rate,followed by change offices and lastly hotels give the lowest exchange rate of all for some odd reason.Also many bars and restaurants offer to change money for their customers too.

You can also use the many ATM's(they have an Emglish menu) but ask your bank how much they take in charges as this can mount up and also let them know you are going on holiday so they don't block your card under suspicion of being stolen :)

Hope that helps

Sorry no image available
Posted by house for rent-318030 - 5 years ago

I think it's one of those currencies you can only buy in the country and vice versa only sell, don't think you'll find any.