DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Working as crew on yachts - teenage summer jobs

Posted by Armarie - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by cizealin - 5 years ago

It's a bit of a can of worms this! The STCW95 system is a standard of qualification/training which is meant to be internationally accepted, and exchangeable, sadly only in some cases they are! Certain flags will restrict the nationality of crew to their own, ie France will only accept crew of French nationality to work on board, same as USA, Italy etc. One of the reasons the UK flag, or versions of, is so popular is that there are no such restrictions, only that there should be a common language on board.

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

and Bluewater is a long established well respected training school (tho the rice is the price)

STCW95 is a safety and security training course and the cost isnt necessarily the most significant criteria to consider

Sorry no image available
Posted by eurokiné-187861 - 5 years ago

wouldnt worry about the french flagged boats- they are few and far between wanting crew, and the STCW95 is an MCA requirement for ALL other flagged boats

Sorry no image available
Posted by Armarie - 5 years ago

Thanks for your replies. They sound too young - they will not be 17 until November. Yes I gathered the work looked hard when we passed some crew on a yacht cleaning the deck railings with a toothbrush! They are British citizens but we now live in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fashion1 - 5 years ago

Be careful of bluewater as there STCW95 course is not reconized by the authorities in france so you cannot work on a french flagged boat.

there is a place in marseille that is accredited and even with room and board, it is 75% of the cost ( all in french though)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 5 years ago

As I said, it's not a question of most yachts wanting the certificate, it's a legal requirement.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cizealin - 5 years ago

I guess the minimum age would be 18, plus 99% of yachts would want the STCW95 certificate for safety reasons (best for your boys also) which costs about 1000€. Plus be warned working on yachts is not just a summer laugh, it's very hard work, and very difficult to find the jobs even for experienced crew with certificates. However, Bluewater in Antibes were doing a summer teenage school for yachting last year, be worth trying them; might be what you are looking for..

Sorry no image available

I'm afraid by law to be employed as yacthing crew they have to have certain minimum qualifications.

Have you not read this about jobs on yachts right here on AngloInfo??

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/working/employment/working-on-yachts/

Even with the minimum required qualification jobs are very competitive.  My nephew did his skipper's course and landed several jobs and travelled all over the world using it before he decided to do something else and settle down and get married!

Sorry no image available

How old will they be?  Are they French residents?