DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

--- any ethnic restaurant recommendations? ---

Posted by vcheng - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

We had dinner at Restaurant Varouj earlier this week.  It was probably one of our best dining out experiences in tihs area for a long time.

It's family run and therefore they care about their reputation and their customers.  This attitude is apparent the moment you walk in.  The food is served with pride and attention to detail.  We had a €22 menu,  consisting of 7 'meze', a choice of about 5 main courses, cheese, and a choice of deserts.  The food is individually cooked to order, we were told that one course would take a little while, well presented, and delicately flavoured.

With a carafe of wine and a couple of beers it came to just under €R60. 

Absolutely no criticisms at all.  

Sorry no image available

I found the GREEK/ARMENIAN one.  It's called Restaurant Varouj,  and it is part of the Auberge Les Aromes.

115 RN 85, 06130 Grasse (Plan de Grasse).  It is just north of Ocean on the right, as you got towards Grasse.  Tel 0493 090 801

I popped in there earlier and was warmly received by a very pleasant lady who was delighted to show me the menu and chat.  It looks excellent, they have three set menus, €16-25 I think,  most entrees about €7 and the main courses about €12.  There's an outside courtyard and plenty of parking.

Anyone interested in dinner there one evening?  Perhaps we could get small group together?

Sorry no image available
Posted by vcheng - 13 years ago

All,

Thanks for the inputs/suggestions. We have tried the take-out Chinese in Mouans-Sartoux -- it is "OK". We think the same type take-out in Garbejaire (Sophia-Antipolis) is better...

And, in case anyone is looking for Italian recommendations --- we were referred by a group of Italian friends to Villa D'Est -- in the pedestrian zone by Place Massena in Nice. We tried it and it is VERY good. And VERY filling. The pasta is just right -- the way an Italian can "identify".

Eventually we're going to get to the Punjab!

-V.

Email me at vscheng@yahoo.com

Sorry no image available

Christine :

I'm told it's called VARUJ but I couldn't find it in the Pages Jaunes or Blanches under restaurants looking for Grasse or Mouans Sartoux.

It's on the N85 (old Cannes Grasse road) near the Ocean supermarket, on the right if you are going North - and near a second hand car dealer.  Next time I am round there I'll get the full details,  unless someone else knows?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shrek 2-196274 - 13 years ago

Le Punjab in Grasse gets my vote

They do take aways and even deliver if you prewarn them (and order enough!!!!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Christine-180881 - 13 years ago

There is also a very nice Indian restaurant in Antibes, called La table des Indes. It's as nice as Le Punjab in my opinion and I've heard nothing but praises for it from other people.

Their phone nr is 04 93 34 08 09

MikeP I'd really like to know about that Greek/Armenian restaurant you're talking about.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Clan MCN - 13 years ago

Thanks Mike!

Sorry no image available

Restaurant Indien Le Punjab 3 r Fabreries 06130 Grasse | Map    .04 93 36 16 03

It's off the Place des Aires

Enjoy!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Clan MCN - 13 years ago

I don't suppose anyone can supply a telephone number and/or address for Le Punjab?  Thanks.

Sorry no image available

We are in the same area and I agree with the recommendations given here - I would have suggested the same establishments.

In addition, there is an Armenian/Greek restaurant near Plan de Grasse about which I have only heard glowing reports. If anyone knows the name and has been to it (we haven't) perhaps hey could post here,  and maybe we could organize another 'AngloINFO get-together' one evening.

I've never found a decent Mexican restaurant in this area.  There are a couple of TexMex places (which is not the same as real Mexican) and neither of them have been anything better than mediocre in my opinion.  Pouring chili powder over food and translating the menu into bad Spanish does not make it Mexican.  There is however an apparently good Colombian restaurant in Nice - I've not been there either.