DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Beef Jerky

Posted by JHM - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Having recently been introduced to this fine US delicacy by my American in-laws, I am now keen to find this product on the CDA. I think I'm hooked on the MSG really.

Anyone know where I can buy it?

JHM

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JHM - 14 years ago

I think I'll stick with Beef Jerky in that case MikeP!

Thanks for the advice  Mike - will venture down to Carrefour once I can muster enough resolve to stay calm in the crowds. Anyone know the best time to go there? It's always hell whenever I go!

JHM

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Perhaps I can interest you in boerewors - that was a success!  I tried making biltong a few years ago and it was not succesful - the meat didn't actually go vrot but it tasted pretty bad and the ultimate proof that it was not fit for consumption was that my dog wouldn't eat it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerardin01 - 14 years ago

MikeP,

have you tried to make biltong yet. I gave it a go a few years ago and after two weeks ended up with very mouldy meat (paid a fortune for the  meat) in my french inlaws gararge. It attracted a lot of attention from french neighbours and abandomed all efforts in fear of health inspectors!

Please let me know when ever it will be available -Mike- , I'll be the first customer 

Sorry no image available

For anyone who is interested in making biltong and droewors, and other South African delicacies, check out :

www.biltongmakers.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Beef jerky is available (two flavours) at Carrefour in Antibes; look in the "exotic foreign food" section.

I'm looking into ways of ensuring that fresh biltong and droewors will be readily available on the Riviera. Watch this space...

Mike

Sorry no image available

Try to get biltong from any of the UK shops which sell South African goods. It is the South African version of 'jerky' but better - airdried spiced meat.

You can also make it yourself - recipes on the web. Tricky to get it right though.

If anyone happens to know of a place here which sells biltong, please post it here. The homesick Saffricans will appreciate it.