DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Bugs in my food!

Posted by cjan - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gillian1170 - 5 years ago

I get this problem in the Summer months and last year I used a steam cleaner to clean out the whole cupboard at the beginning of the Summer and I was laa free for the rest of the Summer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by oliveanlemon@gmail.com - 5 years ago

Humidity usually causes bugs to settle in flour based products. When you buy flour, check the date on the package because also these products have expiration dates, they might have been sitting too long on the store shelfs. A good way to keep your flour bug free is by keeping it in the freezer. That's what I used to do when I lived in the tropics. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by cheryl-180648 - 5 years ago

Hi,

I've been living here a long time and the best tip I ever got was to put flour in the freezer.  No it doesn't freeze, runs freely as normal. 
Do this and you will never have the moths, bugs etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by job-212223 - 5 years ago

I get them at least once a year. I find they come in the rice that I buy from Carrefour, then spread to biscuits etc. I have to clean out my cupboards and just chuck everything out  and start again. I tend to put anything that's flour based and open in plastic bags which helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cjan - 5 years ago

Graet thanks everyone.  Glad I'm not the only one and there is a solution.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lescypres-873147 - 5 years ago

These are called mites alimentaire In French. Throw out every thing "farinous" or flour/grain based. Store new products in Tupperware or kilner jars. Buy "plaques contre les mites alimentaire"  from diy or hardware stores..

Sorry no image available
Posted by drmarti06 - 5 years ago

I now have learned that by keeping all flour etc in the fridge, I no longer have the problem.  All packages of nuts are now stored in the freezer --opened or not.  No more uninvited guests !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fonzo - 5 years ago

we have the same problem. bought zensect which is a sticky piece of carton and you attach it to the inside of the cubboard. moths fly against it, can't get away anymore and die. problem solved.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nissalabella - 5 years ago

I had the same problem in my pantry and I got rid of all the flour, biscuits, riz etc, gave a big clean on all the shelves with "javel", put all the new stuff bought in metallic containers - and not tupperware - and still have a good look if I see anything flying about... Yes, they are moths, if you buy bulk flour (like chickpea flour for example) it comes with eggs laid which, when time to, become flying moths.  I personally don't think it is a "big" problem, but I agree, when weather is hotter, it can multiply...

N.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cjan - 5 years ago

You are right.  we had lots of tiny moths come out the cupboard a few months ago.  Where do they come from?  do I just throw everything out and do a big clean?