DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cottage cheese

Posted by shirl-196337 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by SammyT-194551 - 13 years ago

Thanks for all the name suggestions - I guess I'll try looking at Leclerq tomorrow. And Nadia- how close to cottage cheese is faisselle?  Is it lumpy and pretty similar in flavor?  (all this talk of cottage cheese is making me crave a childhood favorite: cottage cheese and sliced peaches!)

-Samantha

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme-197181 - 13 years ago

In the French-speaking part of Switzerland it is called Fromage Frais granulé - haven't seen it in France yet, but if it's made the Canton de Vaud, maybe its on its way!

Sorry no image available
Posted by srikanth-182535 - 13 years ago

Its called "Paneer" in Indian, and its quite simple and much better to make at home with some full cream milk and lime.

Otherwise, Champion at Valbonne (posted by someone else) is a good alternative.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

In Belgium, where I spend a lot of time, it is definitely just called cottage cheese, pronounced as in English.

In France the packaging seems to have Cottage Cheese written on it, but if you want to ask an assistant they might not pick up on the Cheese bit.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

According to this website (albeit Belgian), cottage cheese is seen as a 'fromage frais étranger' and more specifically 'anglais'.  On this basis, I'd ryhme 'cottage' with 'edge' (i.e 'cotte-èdge') rather than 'fromage' (LOL!), given that most French already pronounce it that way when referring to the quaint thatched-roof cosy little building favoured for a while by Welsh pyromaniacs..  

But I have no doubt that such subtleties will one day be eroded within the great European melting pot.! :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 13 years ago

The stuff we buy in Fench supermarkets is made by Danone and called "Cottage Cheese". It comes as a two-pack (pots about the same size/shape as those used for Greek yoghurt), and the packaging is green.**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 13 years ago

I  live in the Var and can get tubs of cottage cheese in my local Leclerc from the prepacked cheese display - it has cottage cheese written on it. Look beside the packs of Mozzerela and Macaponi (Italian soft cheese - think this is the spelling - also used for desserts). Presumably you can get it in other Leclercs in your own department.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

The French for Cottage Cheese is Fromage Cottage.

Presumably in French you should pronounce Cottage to rhyme Fromage.

In Belgium it is just called Cottage Cheese.  The tubs have Cottage Cheese written on them, with all the small print in French.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 13 years ago

Try the local version : Faisselle, it's the closest thing I know for cottage cheese.Nadia

Sorry no image available
Posted by SammyT-194551 - 13 years ago

What's the french word for cottage cheese?  I asked at Carrefour, but I was told it doesn't exist here, but then again maybe it's because I live in another region with a lot less foreigners.

-Samantha