DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Good Italian Coffee

Posted by NiceLisa - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NiceLisa - 4 years ago

Hi Fran

You have been really helpful in providing me with all the info on coffee and flour.  Much appreciated!  I'll try to organise for a friend to go with me (hubby not that interested in going).  I might end up buying too much :) 

Do you make bread often? I would be interested if we can exchange notes on bread making.

If you have some other thoughts, you can email me directly at momo12@gmail.com if you wish.

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 4 years ago

Sorry fogot to answer your first question about the name.

It is a real Co-op, yes CO-OP!  It is in Roverino, which is a suburb of Vengtimiglia.  If you comme off of the autostrada from Menton, you will be very close.  Turn right at the junction with the strada that goes from Vengtimiglia to Tenda. Then take the slip road to Roverino.  You will go past a couple of schools and a very nice veggie shop with loads of veggies outside, then another slip road from the autostrada, then, Bingo the Co-op on the right. Turn in & there is parking at that level or down below.

Let me know how you get on!!!

Sorry no image available

Hi

I am sorry to have been so long in replying.

In answer to your question about strength.  We don't like anything bitter, like most French coffees, we like it smooth, & I like it stronger than my husband!

So we have settlled on the Co-op's own Grandaroma.  This has a nice lingering taste, but it is also smooth. The Co-op own brand also has espresso bar  & aribica 100% and cafe classico, + decaff.

I think that the expresso bar & the 100% aribica will be a bit stronger & the classico will be the strongest.

However, it will be up to you to try them, they are not expensive, so a packet of each will only set you back under 10€.

You will be able to judge the comments on the packets, to compare with the branded coffees.

Re the flour, i have used the 100% whole meal, which is very much like the UK style of whole meal, very tasty but a bit heavy.  They also have a very high quality wheat flour, which is something like Karazan, it is something like that, it makes a very nice loaf, but maybe it can be mixed with another flour.

The 00 flour has a very, very high % of gluten.  The Italians use it to make foccacia 7 pizza dough, especially the thin crust pizza. 

But for the pizza dough you need to look at this link  http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/pizza-dough-recipe-topping-tomato-sauce-pizza-pilgrims-162623474.html

email me if you need more info!

Fran

Sorry no image available

Sounds really a good place to shop!  Love pasta, different variety of vegetables, cheese...  Those vegies here are a bit boring.

I do make my own bread. However, I use, 55 or 65 flour. What is 00?

Which brand or blend of coffee you have tried and preferred?  I like strong coffee, but does not taste bitter. I am actually try to find some good quality Italian coffee as a present for my aunt in US.  Of course, I would buy some for myself as well.

What is the actual name of this Co-op?

Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by LeighA - 4 years ago

Starbucks cap3000!

Sorry no image available

Driving on Saturday won't be too bad.  I f you go by the autoroute you will exit very near to it. 

You will find many different coffees, both own brand & branded, proper Italian stuff.  We always find the French 'Italian' coffee much too bitter, so I am sure that you will have a good choice for your own taste.

You will also find dried pasta & fresh, a varieties of flour, especially if you are into pizza making & focaccia, there are many varieties of 00 flour.  I could go on, but I will leave it to you to discover other things.

Good luck

Sorry no image available

I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

The 'Italian' coffee in France is made for the French palate, and both me & my hubbie find it just too bitter.

We have tried many of the coffees from the Co-op, both own brand & branded.  We have not been disappointed with any of them, but it is really up to your personal taste.

As I said in my last post, the building is a 60's style shopping mall & the Co-op is in the basement of it. But, once you get inside, there is an Aladin's cave full of Italian goodies. Coffee, pasta (dry & fresh), veggies-different to the French ones, dried beans en vrac during the autumn & winter, soup mixes- the same, flour- if you are into pizza or foccacia, so many varieties of 00 flour, the cheapest at 39 cents a kg, cheeses, need I go on!

It won't be too bad to go on a Saturday.  If you are coming off the autoroute, you will be very close when you reach the strada national.

Good luck!

Sorry no image available

Thank you very much for the details.  I'll have to get my husband to drive me there on a Saturday. I don't like driving to new places :)  However, Saturday traffic is pretty congested!

Cheers

Lisa

Sorry no image available

The Co-op is a bit out of Vintimiglia, on the approach to the motorway, as you go towards Limone/Cuni it is on the right hand side, you take a slip road off and double back to get to it.  It sounds more complicated than it actually is .

It is in a  kind of 60's style shopping mall, with Co-op & UPIM on the top of the building.  It does not look very attractive, but when you get inside, the range of things in such a small space is amazing.  It may take you 2 or 3 visits to actually appreciate what is on offer!

Here is, I hope some info on how toget there & the opening times (yes it worked, so best of luck, but don't try to go via the town on Fridays, go via the motorway, because of the market):

Shopping Centre: Heading out of town towards the motorway, there is a commercial centre which has a department store called Upim. The store, which has two floors sells a great range of clothing for men, women and children, a cosmetic department and a section for the home.

Corso Limone Piemonte, 15 - Roverino - Ventimiglia (Map)

Opening Times

Monday to Saturday: 9.00 - 19.30
Sunday: 9.30-12.30 and 15.30-19.30

The centre also contains another store called Bernardi, which is a smaller version of Upim and very low priced clothing and a small range of household goods.

Opening Times

Mon - Sat: 9.15-19.30,
Sunday: 9.30-12.30 and 15.30-19.30

The centre also has a chemist, a café, various independent shops and the Co-op supermarket in the basement, which is opened Monday through to Saturday from 8.45 - 19.30.

Sorry no image available

Hi

I mean beans or grinded coffee.  Anyway, when I'm next around Massena, I would certainly try Cafe Vargano.

Thanks!