DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

In search of British sausages, part II

Posted by Paul_A-184148 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I remember a while back there was a posting in this forum about where to buy British sausages. I thought someone said you could buy them in Marché U in Vence, near (or in?) the frozen section. However I had a look there this weekend, and came back home empty handed and disappointed :-( Anyone know where I can buy British sausages in the Vence area? And good cheddar too, for that matter?

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 14 years ago

There are two good things about English sausages: first the taste, and second no gristle like you often find in French sausages.

But of course the more you pay the better they are.

As there isn't a Sainsbury's in the area I always use and would recommend eurobrits; they bring their food in each week: www.eurobrits.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul_A-184148 - 14 years ago

Mike - Thanks for letting me know!  Next time am there I'll have a look in the right place. 

Jan - Thanks for the tip off too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 14 years ago

I have found frozen English sausages and bacon, and chedder cheese at Champion in Valbonne.

Also Super U at Plascassier has Chedder cheese.

Jan

Anything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

quote:Also, since I can be sure that the frozen sausages at Marché U will be more bangers than sausages,

They're sausages - I popped in this morning and, although they're out of stock (delivery expected this afternoon or tomorrow) the shelf-tag says "Peter's Sausages" ( rather than, say, "Bertie's Bangers"). Further to my earlier directions, they're behind the second door from the left, second shelf from the bottom. I was going to see if they admitted to their meat percentage but it'l have to wait.

In fairness to the Great British Sausage (and comments about sawdust notwithstanding), the ingredients of any retail sausage will be pretty reasonable, and the bulk of the non-meat proportion will be cereal. And there's nothing intrinsically wrong with cereal - it forms a very high percentage of the average baguette, for example! Furthermore, it's the (relatively) high cereal content that gives the British sausage its distinctive plump, shiny appearance when properly cooked.

I just personally prefer high meat-content sausages, even if they look less cute...

(Note: I'm referring to retail sausages/bangers quite specifically; there are very low-budget "sausage-like products" targeted at, for example, the school dinners market, with ingredients which are, in my view, utterly disgusting - but what do you expect for €1.50 per kilo or less?)

Mike

Sorry no image available

Mike,

Thanks again for your detailed reply!  You've replied to a few of my questions on AI, and you always give the links 'n all!  Thanks, and I'm convinced - 42% is awful, I thought it was much higher than that.  Also, since I can be sure that the frozen sausages at Marché U will be more bangers than sausages, I'll stick to the local butcher.

Sheila, the last (and only) Toulouse sausages I bought were like meat-flavoured rubber.  I guess I should try again, maybe it was just a question of bad luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

It's my understanding that a pork sausage in Britain need be only 42% meat; pork and (e.g. beef) sausages can be still lower - see this PDF. Obviously, you can get sausages with amuch higher meat content - especially from good butchers - but I believe that the mainstream commercial products stay close enough to the minimum.

The good news is that the stuff described as "meat" has, since the beginning of 2003, actually had to resemble what you or I might call "meat", rather than being altogether nastier bits of the pig (such as skin, gristle, and the fatty deposits from around the animal's kidneys). See this press release for more (and for a pretty off-putting "sample" pork & beef sausage ingredient list). You might also want to read this small PDF giving details of the 2003 sausage survey.

I alos believe that "bangers" are so-labelled when they don't reach the minimum meat content to be labelled as sausages. So they are (as the US FDA puts it) "sausage-like products". Ugh.

Me, I like my sausages to have a meat content in the >95% area, so I tend to steer clear of the shrink-wrapped, imported banger...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Try www.Eurobrits.com who import a wide range of British food. 

By the way contrary to belief it is perfectly legal to bring meat products back from the UK now.  Especially in the winter if you take them from store/fridge - suitcase - airport - plane - home there is minimal risk of deterioration.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 14 years ago

Toulouse sausages (sold in every supermarket both prepackaged or from the butchers section) seem to have a high meat content - no sign of the sawdust and scrapings that make up the English banger, I use them in a wonderful sausage & leek pie to general acclaim

Sheila

sheila

Sorry no image available
Posted by anthonyb-187880 - 14 years ago

Good Morning, We just visited Geoffreys of London yesterday (Which is in Antibes) and they have any ammount of English Food you could possibily want.

Kind Regards
Anthony Brophy

Sorry no image available

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your detailed reply - I'll be rummaging around beneath the pizzas this afternoon!  A question about your relpy, though - you said:

I'm afraid I can't vouch to their quality as, personally, I like a rather higher precentage of meat in my sausages than is normal with commercial British bangers.

I thought that british law required a higher meat content in sausages than other countries in europe?  If you have found where to get sausages with a higher meat content, I'd be interested to know where....I have normally been disappointed by sausages in France, except for the chipolatas sold by the butchers in Vence that is opposite Budget car rentals....