DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Italian restaurant near French border

Posted by Markdo-187997 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Hi,

We're planning a day/weekend trip to Italy. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant within an hour of a border that does good Italian food, especially pesto and other Ligurian specialities.

Thanks

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Markdo-187997 - 13 years ago

In the end we visited Da Claudio. Wonderful food and very good value. One potential downside was the lack of terrace but this was more than compensated for by the very italian ambience. Thanks for the recommendation.

We will also in time be trying out the other recommendations. I enjoy going across the border since Italy seems less touristy and more 'real' than the cote d'azur. Further restaurant recommendations also appreciated....

Sorry no image available
Posted by JPS55-185758 - 13 years ago

You should not miss Da Claudio's on the main road in Ospedaletti (between Bordighera and San Remo) mainly fish but the pasta and meat dishes are excellent and it is so cheap. I live in Italy and this is where the loacals go (they do NOT go to Il Borgo in Dolceaqua) JPS55

Sorry no image available
Posted by JPS55-185758 - 13 years ago

Hi Chris,

I live in Italy (Bordighera) and the only english radio stations we receive are Radio Riviera and Radio International, I may be wrong but I do not believe there are any english radio stations in Italy.

JPS55

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chris Elliott-197156 - 13 years ago

Hi... I'm trying to get a job at an English speaking radio station in Italy. Does anybody know of any? I know Riviera in Monaco is english speaking... but I need info on Italy. Kind regards Chris rickelliott@arn.com.au

Sorry no image available
Posted by Markdo-187997 - 13 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. I can see we'll have to take a weekend trip just to make sure we try all the recommendations.

Mark

Sorry no image available
Posted by grahamt-184180 - 13 years ago

The 'Mare Blu' in San Remo.....................

I have eaten there at least ten times,and the food and wine has always been brilliant.................

Grahamt

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lineker-190356 - 13 years ago

I will second Dolceaqua, lovely place to go for lunch..

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pervinca - 13 years ago

Il Borgo at Dolceacqua just outside Ventimiglia. You can eat out under the trees in the little piazza and look at the old ruined Doria Palazzo & eat wonderful food with chilled slightly fizzy Rosé ( local wine) for very moderate prices.

Sorry no image available
Posted by belamica-188434 - 13 years ago

In Airole (in the Valle Roya, about 12 km from Ventimiglia) there is Il Vecchio Diffisiù in the main piazza.  It's good and you can order from a menu, lots of Ligurian specialities, esp. rabbit, etc.  Or pass by Airole, turn right to go up to Collabassa, there is only ONE restaurant (don't know the name) which serves typical Italian food.  They don't have a menu, they just bring on the food!  Great ambiance, good food, terrace.  We had 3 - 4 antipasti, pasta, 3 meat dishes, dessert, aperitivi, 2 bottles wine & water, coffee & digestivi à discretion for about EU 34.  Hard to beat.

Buon appetito.

belamica

Sorry no image available
Posted by belamica-188434 - 13 years ago

In Airole (in the Valle Roya, about 12 km from Ventimiglia) there is Il Vecchio Diffisiù in the main piazza.  It's good and you can order from a menu, lots of Ligurian specialities, esp. rabbit, etc.  Or pass by Airole, turn right to go up to Collabassa, there is only ONE restaurant (don't know the name) which serves typical Italian food.  They don't have a menu, they just bring on the food!  Great ambiance, good food, terrace.  We had 3 - 4 antipasti, pasta, 3 meat dishes, dessert, aperitivi, 2 bottles wine & water, coffee & digestivi à discretion for about EU 34.  Hard to beat.

Buon appetito.

belamica