DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Looking for Brittains home store

Posted by michaelandkate - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 14 years ago

To Miss Varna, I can understand the French man you're talking about, when I was sent out to Newcastle for a year at Uni, I felt the same.My first trip to safeway was just mad, it just all looked so weird!! I became familiar with the stuff quite quickly, but I think the first times I left the shop with hardly any shopping in my basket as I wasn't able to recognise most of the food!I think I didn't do as badly as my friend who bought some marmite thinking it was some sort of local version of Nutella!!!She got quite a surprise when she made her first thick layered 'Nutella' toasted sandwich...Nadia

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 14 years ago

Sausages, mash, onions and beans.

Thats what my lot had for tea last night. What a treat.

16 Wall's bangers for 5euro 20. What a bargain.

That's Brittains home Stores price....(tap your bottom)

Jan

'anything for an easy life'

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 14 years ago

Few months ago I watched that French show "Vis ma vie" where some people exchange their life for a day or two. So there was that typical French guy, speaking as little and as bad English as so many others, who was so convinced of the grande nation etc. and they sent him to some small town in the UK to stay at a young British lady who as an interpreter was perfectly fluent in English. It was so funny how that poor little French guy was so lost there - especially when the gal sent him shopping. He had to buy Marmite without even knwoing what it is. So he went to a taylor's and asked for Marmite. Due to his French accent, the taylor understood MERMAID and told him to go to Copenhagen ;-) Now each time I see Marmite, I cannot help thinking about the Little Mermaid ;-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 14 years ago

Ah Marmite, do you have problems with leeches?

A bit of Marmite on a leech busy doing it's thing and it falls off your leg or wherever it is !

Just the thing for Marmite fans to think about whilst they're eating and to top it all it's true !

Reinrev

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sweet thing - 14 years ago

I phoned - it's run by a very pleasant lady called Caroline.

Totally independant of any existing UK food supplier.

Great! - Finally a nice place to buy my Marmite!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 14 years ago

One problem with ordering on line from England, you cannot get fresh or frozen products. Things like double cream, chedder cheese and bacon and also Aunt Bessies yorkshire puddings, apple pies and Weight Watchers meals, which are all available from Brittains Best.
If you go, take a look downstairs they have 5 freezers full of goodies.
They now sell sandwiches too.

Jan

'anything for an easy life'

Sorry no image available
Posted by sledger-197331 - 14 years ago

yes they are give it a go

Sorry no image available
Posted by michaelandkate - 14 years ago

is it any good?

Sorry no image available
Posted by sledger-197331 - 14 years ago

go on-line for british goods here

http://www.bestofbritish.fr/ delivered to your door

Sorry no image available
Posted by angloinfoaddict-197011 - 14 years ago

I was there for the first time today, very nice people an good shopping, well worth a visit for the things you usually bring back in your suitcase