DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Olives help needed or advice

Posted by Collie21 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hey ho! Lots of olive trees that are really huge. If anyone knows what and how to do it can you give some advice on cutting back and prunning. I know a little but not a lot. Your even welcome to come and help if you like??????? pleeeeeeese Collie hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 14 years ago

Probably dry cheese dry bread and dry wine if you bring some lol. :-)hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squirrel-192434 - 14 years ago

yeah sorry collie, i did receive your email, have been a bit busy!

how about next sat morn (14th)?

whats for lunch :)

Sorry no image available

aaronu

Think I'll leave you pondering that one a bit more :-)

hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available

aaronu

Think I'll leave you pondering that one a bit more :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by aaronu - 14 years ago

I'm sorry but I really got to know...........

Does the wall have a crack in it??

Sorry no image available

HI Squirrel and all

I sent you an email but got no reply but I am based in Falicon north of Nice, when do you think you might be able to come, or anyone else for that matter hint hint nudge nudge, know what I mean, like loads of trees...........

Collie

Sorry no image available

hello again collie21

where is your property located?

if you're close to nice i can come over and prune a tree so you can use it as a guide for the others

Sorry no image available

Many thanks guys for all the info. To explain I am now on a property that the trees haven't been touched for about 20 years as far as I can tell. There a plenty of small new trees growing which I plan to leave alone. But the others are huge. I am a bit overwhelmed by the property in itself which also has cherry pear apple fig apricot bitter orange. I basically attacked one tree with the chain saw cutting it back almost to the top of a very tall trunk as I have seen trees that look like they had that done. If you can recommend a good book I would appreciate it. If you feel like visiting and dispensing some advice (don't worry you won't have to work) I would appreciate it even more. With reparing a new house and trying to get vineyard and fruit trees in shape more or less alone, its getting a bit much.CheersColliehey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available

Hi, Collie21

all depends on what you're trying to achieve, there are various ways to prune olive trees to achieve specific results.

With your trees being large i assume you wish to make the trees smaller and more accessable for when it comes to harvesting.

This would require an overall crown reduction, probably no more than around 35% for starters as you dont want to stress the trees too much.

Main thing to remember is not to hack out big limbs willy-nilly, you only get one chance to reduce a mature tree the correct way, to benefit the tree and improve its appearence if need be. Make good final pruning cuts, dont leave any stobby bits, not only do the stobs die back and create decay and a host for parasitic attack they do not allow the wound to callus over and undergo the natural processes of setting up protective barriers. Prune back to strong young healthy growing points.

After heavily reduceing you will experience lots of epicormic growth within the tree and certainly a smaller harvest, however, tree maintenence is an on going process and you will benefit in the seasons to come.

If size is ok then just clean them out, remove any dead dying diseased wood, rubbing/crossing branches, epicormic growth and give em a light thin. Buy a book on olive pruning for precise techniques but basically prune back terminal branches that produced last years fruit (this in itself thins out the canopy) should be done every two years to maintain a good harvest each year.

Like dublinmike advises be wary of frost, depending on your location prune between jan and end of march begin april at latest as you dont want to interfere with the on-set of new growth.

Mike, not only is the wood great for burning, the local turners luv it.

Best of luck

Squirrel

Sorry no image available

AHOk first prob was that I read somewhere now was the time so I started already on a pretty old tree. Mulching wise most of what we cut around here (not just olives believe me) is thrown into the house fire as we have no other real source of wood at the mo!. thirdly where are you so I can come and see. I know the locals around here have been pruning much smaller trees than ours now but there not very talkative unfortunately. Thanks for the advice now I am in a bit of a quandry but at least I know there is no real rush on it.hey does that wall have a crack in it?