DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Porridge oats

Posted by Milady06 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sydp - 6 years ago

I have ordered (and received) steel-cut oats (both McCann and Bob's Red Mill) from iherb. It's more than if there were no shipping, but the shipping charges are the most reasonable I've seen for 'importing' specialty goods. They ship a flat rate of 4USD for orders more than 40 USD and up to 4lbs. (It's a US company).

Sorry no image available
Posted by wittym - 6 years ago

Steel cut and Rolled Oats are 2 different things. You can usually find larger robust rolled oats (Floccons d'Avoine) in health food stores, often in bulk as another commented.Rolled oats are processed through steam heated cylindrical rollers and are partially pre-gelatinized by that process.
Steel cut oats are not heat or pressure treated, merely chopped into pieces of oat kernel. Hard core, gritty, even after boiling, sometimes fried dry before adding water, rarely eaten in the UK, somewhat more common in parts of the US, I have never seen them in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by teen-214765 - 6 years ago

Doesn't look a bit like rice! I'd call it scottish oatmeal.....I make great oatcakes with it. It's a bit coarser than I'd find at home in newcastle! "farine d'avoine" here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mdavison-210699 - 6 years ago

This is very good news, but just to check is the oatmeal like the McCann's steel cut pieces or the whole grain oats that look like rice ?

Sorry no image available

Both oat flakes and oatmeal are available loose, in self service containers from Carrefour Lingostiere, new Bio section.

Sorry no image available

Both "flocons d'avoine" and "farine d'avoine"( looks and acts like pinhead stuff, not very fine) are available loose, from self serve containers, in Carrefour Lingostiere's Bio section. I use the fine for really good oatcakes.

Sorry no image available

Flacon d avoine are the flakes of oatmeal, i.e. those that you buy in supermarkets under the brand Quaker or Scottish or in health food stores in bulk. Not the same as the pin head or steel cut, McCann's type. Interestingly enough now in the US Quaker is selling steel cut, like the McCanns. I'm convinced the pin head or steel cut must exist in France; but for now I continue to buy in bulk from the UK as noted in post above.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Suzanne C-192641 - 6 years ago

Would "flocons d'avoine" not fulfil your need for porridge oats?

Sorry no image available
Posted by johnking - 6 years ago

My wife is Scottish she finds Quaker in all the Supermarkets. No pumpkins seeds for purists although the recipe sounds good. When we were in New York my wife loaded up on McCanns.

Sorry no image available

Actually after a long hunt am happy to share the steel cut oats' story. The company, McCanns was purchased by an American company - about three years ago. This company cannot help with any European distributors names. I finally found a firm in UK that will ship to France; and yes, the shipping is more than the oats, which are very cheap. They are also called pinhead oats. The company is Goodness Direct, www.goodnessdirect.co.uk. Last order I bought 4 packages of 3kg sized packages of pinhead oats; and the price with shipping was still cheaper than buying the whole (look like rice kernals) in the local health food stores. I tried to grind up the whole oats unsuccessfully. And, yes, I did order 12 KILOs of oats, happily eating and also giving as presents to other real oatmeal deprived friends.If anyone finds the real pinhead or steel cut oats here, please do let me know.