DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Restaurants in Nice

Posted by DeeGee-189138 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by The_Other_Club - 14 years ago

Hello,

I'm a Frenchman, and that alone qualifies me to answer questions about food and restaurants. Rule #1: Never trust a Brit or a Yankee when it comes to food --let alone a stranger you've "met" over the Internet. Rule #2: Buy the Michelin Guide Rouge that you'll find in every French or English bookshop. Look up in the Nice section. My experience is that we can find reasonably priced restaurant in this guide. Michelin lists only the 10% best restaurants in each town.

If you want a Maroccan restaurant, the best (and, surprinsingly, the cheapest): Marrakech  14, rue Miron  06600  Nice   04-9385-8155. The chef is Marrocan and his wife, who does the waitress, is French. I recommend the couscous royal for far less than 20€. Ask for the sauce sucrée with dried grapes. I have repeatdly ask the Michelin to include it in its guide, to no avail. Strange, since in the same street, you've a Paella restaurant (Mireille), which is a good one, but the Marrakech is far better.

Happy meal,

The Other Club

Sorry no image available
Posted by apu - 14 years ago

eating well on a budget is a challenge in nice...you really have to know where to go...as nice is a minefield of tourist traps...

these are good budget places in old nice..the only etap hotel i know in nice is near the airport and you will have to sort out transport...

* Auberge des arts (not cafe des arts) 15 euros 3 course french local food, very good quality. (old nice, near place garibaldi)

* Casa mia about - 30 euros home cooked italian food   sometimes they do a 23 euro menu...(old nice, behind macmahons pub)

* Byblos - very good slap lebanese mezes for 10 to 20 euros...if you do not know meze are a selection of small dishes you get from 6 to 20 depending on what you order...very good quality food...(old nice, rue de la perfecture)

keep away from the cours seleya (aka the flower market) some places are ok...the rest are tourist traps.....

also if you fancy a decent british curry...for the contemporary version try ragamama, on rue paganini, near the train station....