DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Thai food cooking and restaurants

Posted by Sevendaver1 - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Snapshotz - 5 years ago

Hi, also wondering and longing for a Thai restaurant close to Cannes. Any recommendations appreciated. Paul

Sorry no image available
Posted by Wednesday-319687 - 5 years ago

Hi don't know where your based but geffories in Antibes the English supermarket has red and green curry making kits for about 5 euros. There are also two nice Thai restaurants in Monaco maya bay and the royal Thai both have websites and there is an Okish one in ST Tropez port. Also www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes has lots of simple recipes from all over the world including Thailand.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sevendaver1 - 5 years ago

Thanks, I will figure this out. Strange the things that you miss. Coors Light beer for one thing was considered a basic food group in Canada. Now I rely on friends bringing it from the UK.

Sorry no image available
Posted by juliadevi - 5 years ago

no help for restos but here's one good source of recipes:
http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/

you can stock up on the basics in any asian market around here... curry pastes, tins of coconut milk, fish sauce, shrimp paste, palm sugar, jasmine rice, noodles etc from the dry goods, and then look in the freezer for kaffir lime leaves, bird's eye chillies, lemon grass etc

some things can be bought at carrefour or other mainstream stores - sambal oelek, limes, fresh coriander, coconut milk, sometimes fresh chillies. in Antibes the carrefour even has small bottles of fish sauce, but for that price you can buy a big bottle at the asian market.

I grow coriander and thai basil in my garden, fresh thai basil to finish a green curry gives it a taste that reminds me of thailand... I bought the plant at Villa Verde in Antibes and have saved the seeds to grow it again in following years.

last thing: be open to substitutions... I regularly use normal aubergine instead of asian aubergine, or green beans instead of yard long beans... whilst living in Germany I discovered that you can substitute kohlrabi for green papaya in som tam, it's the dressing (fish sauce/lime/chillie/dried shrimp/peanut) that really affects the taste, the papaya/kohlrabi is just a vehicle! ;) and home-made satay/saté sauce is great on a lot of things, when the skewers run out, guests have been known to use baguette to convey more satay sauce into their mouths...

I know some purists would sniff at this approach but honestly, we eat home-cooked thai food on a regular basis and it scratches the itch... I took some thai cooking lessons when I was in Thailand and in fact the procedures are quite simple, it doesn't take long to make a curry, cook some rice and then do a thai-style salad or stir fry, I can do it even after coming home after work, half an hour or 40 minutes for happy tastebuds is well worth it!