DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

vegetarian restaurants? or Vege options?

Posted by bunny-189601 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosiefarnham - 12 years ago

BienVenue in Old Nice has just started a veggie menu. I went there last night to eat and the food was absolutely amazing - no pasta, pizza or eggs in sight!! It was fairly reasonably priced too.

I'd recommend it to all veggies in the area. There are very few places that do a truly innovative menu like that (and my husband told me the meaty menu is pretty good too!).

Yum!

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 12 years ago

melle_alexia . .... wow .... thanks for all that information and your very kind offer.  I don't have time to follow up on it now as am about to catch a flight but will do so when I get back next week. 

Just wanted to let you know it is appreciated!  Best wishes! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by melle_alexia - 12 years ago

Hi MikeP!Ahh, Vegan in France is not exactly easy, that with their 3 isles of fromage in the supermarkets and love for all things that once slimed, crawled, walked, jumped or swam... I'm not sure where you live, but I would suggest the following in Nice... 1. There is a Lebanese restaurant called 'La Cigal' (http://www.lacigaleorientale.com/), near the zone-pietonne in Nice, that has excellent options for the vegans and meat-eaters alike. I''m not sure if they know what vegan means, but there are many items that are totally vegan.2. The 'speak easy' (http://www.vegdining.com/GetRest.cfm?rk=FRA-NICE-LESPE) is a strictly vegan place that has really nice food but is a bit small and unless you're willing to go veg for the evening will not have anything for you- they are open for just lunch and dinner, so you might want to call in advance to get a reservation. The woman who owns this place might also have some advice/options for you, so you could try to give here a call and ask.3. The 'Italian' job: Most Italian restaurants can be rendered vegan by mean of a requesting 'pas de fromage/formagio'! Really, most all have a good red sauce that is free from animal products, and of course most pasta (unless its fresh and has eggs) and gnocchi is vegan, and there is always a salad or vegetable dish that can accompany the pasta. As well, pizza without cheese can be quite appetizing, and is even found on the menu of some better pizza restos (La Pizza in Nice for example)...In general, vegan eating can be accomplished without that much hastle, but it kinda depends on your friends likes and dislikes. In addition to the above, most good lebanese and thai restaurants will have some vegan options available, and the same goes for some chinese & japanese. You just have to check the menu to see. All that said, nothing compares to: (http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/), but beings several time zones away kinda puts it out of the running, though it can make a believer out of the most staunch carnivore!If all else fails, you can write me and I'll cook for or go out with you and your friends!bon app!

Sorry no image available
Posted by dido-203783 - 12 years ago

I sympathise MikeP (I had same problem in London when a brother-in-law turned up with a vegan girlfriend) - the only advice I can give is to get from them (The Vegans!) what it is they can eat and then ask your favourite restaurants if they can deliver.  It is hard to imagine that any restaurants here will specifically cater for such a restricted diet without warning.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 12 years ago

Does anyone know of any VEGAN restaurants in the area, or restaurants which know what vegan means and do a proper vegan meal? 

We have vegan friends (from the greatest meat eating country in the world!) coming to stay with us next month and would like to take them out somewhere where they can get something better than the usual lettuce leaf and tomato which passes as an apology for vegetarian meals. As for vegan .... forget it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by bunny-189601 - 14 years ago

I no longer live in France! But thank you to all who have replied lately, hopefully this information will help other hungry vegos who are sick of pizza... we never had any joy with restaurants in our 7 months in France, but oddly enough when we left France our flight was cancelled and the airline put us up in a hotel near the airport in Paris for the night, and we were served the best 3 course French vegetarian meal that we have ever eaten plus a couple of bottles of wine to boot, our very last night in France and we finally had a great meal!I've worked as a chef for years and found the produce in France beautiful to cook with (although not that varied) and I highly recommend a cookbook by 3 star French chef Georges Blanc called "The Natural Cuisine of Georges Blanc" which focuses on seasonal vegetables and fish - not that I eat fish, but the vegetable and pasta recipies are inspiring and well within the average home cook's ability, beautiful, beautiful food.Cheers to all, Bunny

Sorry no image available
Posted by axelblody - 14 years ago

by the way, any body who wants to no more regarding veggietarian tips , maybe I can help you, I leave in Cannes, e-mail me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by axelblody - 14 years ago

There is also one Indian restaurant in cannes name Ganesh , near at bus terminus. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joshuatz - 14 years ago

Dear Bunny and all other vegetarians.I am coming to the Cannes Film Festival in about 2 weeks and have been searching on line for places to go that serve vegetarian food - here is one that I found and I am so excited to try it.Le Montagard , 6 rue Mar JoffreThere is also the Speak Easy in Nice, and maybe one more. Would be so happy to meet other vegetarians there one day during the festival - and anyone else going to the film festival as well. Also - if any one knows of a B&B or private home that would like to rent to a cool guy - no smoke , drink or drugs - totaly healthy Vegan from Los Angeles, I am still looking for a place to stay in Cannes during the festival.thanks and will keep checking here for more cool places that serve or that are VEGAN friendly.All my bestJoshua

Sorry no image available
Posted by nice_and_sunny2 - 14 years ago

hi, if you are on a limited budget try Byblos, in old nice next to wanye's pub.

they do various vege meze dishes and also offer mini vege meze for 10 euros.  normally this should be more for most people.

they also do a full vege meze for about 16 euros.

with wine your meal should come to about 20 euros.

also try Casa Mia in rue pontin, three streets behind byblos.  they do not have any vege dishes on the menu, but you can ask them to prepare something special for you and the cook will please your needs. also the veggie dishes generally tend to be cheaper.  ask the price before you order as the dishes are on on the menu, generally they do a 3 course meal around 20-23 euros.