DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

What's with all the moths in the food cupboard?

Posted by szozu - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme-197181 - 13 years ago

I had some hatch from a packet of polenta made by artisans in Italy.  Pity because the polenta was the best I'd ever tasted!  (Yes, I did eat some, before the dear creatures hatched out!).

Sorry no image available
Posted by AnnaC-195945 - 13 years ago

I used to find them in packets of un-opened pasta etc., but since then keep all flour and rice products in tightly closed plastic boxes.  I only seem to find cobwebs nowadays in packets of breadcrumbs.  No harm is done because they're tightly shut away in their boxes, but its not nice - gives you a feeling of not keeping a clean house!

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

The eggs are not visible when you buy the products. It's only later that the propogation begins in the cupboard.

For excellent articles about the Indian Meal Moth and the Mediterranean Flour Moth, click on the links.

I think I had tremendous problems last summer because of the high temperatures, which speed propogation.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 13 years ago

Try looking in cherl-ekers at the products for the protection and destroy, a of stuff range from ridding Ants to months and those dreaded Cafads....also around variious small hygene companies do a good job for 35 to 50 euros...

also if the product u buu has insects in them, then u should take the product back [with the offending object] and shop somewhere else.

Simon Templer

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

Oh my goodness! This topic is still, as it were, very much alive!

I was lucky this year and only had a couple of the horrible beasties fly at me recently, which I attacked with a tea towel. I found a larvae in my dog's treats and that seemed to be the end of it. I also cleaned out all the stray bits of rice and flour lying on the shelf of the food cupboard. The problem is that they can come in the food you buy and proliferate. Yuck--or should I say--beurk!

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jayne-190005 - 13 years ago

The on-going saga of the "beasties" - I must have completely cleared out my kitchen food cupboars and chucked out food at least five times over the past fortnight, squashed masses of crawling wormy things with kleenex and now moths come flying out at me at an average of 10-15 per day (which I also squash) - when will this end???At least I'm not alone!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rebel-193688 - 13 years ago

Unfortunately you all may NOT have solved the problem, we had the larvae not just in food, but they had crawled inbetween the sticky plastic shelf coating and the shelves, around the shelf supports, into the light fittings and were dropping onto us as we ate round the kitchen table. The only thing they don't get into is glass preserving jars with the rubber rings - if you make sure there is nothing in the food first.

We emptied the cupboard, stripped off all the sticky plastic - then tried to get the sticky stuff off the shelves - difficult - don't know why the things didn't stick to it. Disinfected everything with Javel, washed the ceiling, scraped them out from the light fittings, threw away all the contaminated food. All this taking us until after 2 in the morning. Next day went and bought lots of preserving jars and new rubber rings for the old ones - and spent a lot of money on replacing the food.

They love walnuts.

Rebel

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rebel-193688 - 13 years ago

Unfortunately you all may NOT have solved the problem, we had the larvae not just in food, but they had crawled inbetween the sticky plastic shelf coating and the shelves, around the shelf supports, into the light fittings and were dropping onto us as we ate round the kitchen table. The only thing they don't get into is glass preserving jars with the rubber rings - if you make sure there is nothing in the food first.

We emptied the cupboard, stripped off all the sticky plastic - then tried to get the sticky stuff off the shelves - difficult - don't know why the things didn't stick to it. Disinfected everything with Javel, washed the ceiling, scraped them out from the light fittings, threw away all the contaminated food. All this taking us until after 2 in the morning. Next day went and bought lots of preserving jars and new rubber rings for the old ones - and spent a lot of money on replacing the food.

They love walnuts.

Rebel

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 13 years ago

Checked my cupboard last night after seeing one moth on the weekend, only to find several other moths living happily together in a packet of chopped almonds. I also found what looked like larvae inside some other food packets so I reckon In have nipped the problem in the bud just in time.

Thanks to you all for the info! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Katherine-186137 - 13 years ago

Hi,

Thanks to whoever started this thread as I also thought it was just me, never before have I been infestated so badly and I lived in the African bush most my life!  They particulary love nuts I find, and although on this thread someone said they did not like rice cakes, even those seemed to be alive with disgusting worms.  I rapidly cleaned the cupboard like a woman possesed and walked 3 km to the closest shops merely to get some of those things you hang in your cupboard only to walk three km back to discover someone had stolen its contents.  There are still moths par tout flapping about but I thought they would perish soon, I don't really like killing things and neither do the spiders in my house which I never remove, but I am off to the shops to get some fresh bay leaves to try put them off.  Thanks for the intresting imput y'all.

Katherine