DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where can I buy Farine de Boulangerie

Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

We used to make our own bread on the boat , on long trips , but then the weevils somehow got in , so I told the cook to throw the rest of the flour down the bilge to stop a leak through the planking ; we forgot all about it till two weeks later when we had to run the boat up on the beach - we were sinking - the weevils had run out of flour and had eaten the planking away !

Cautionary tale - get the cook to make hard tack biscuits instead ( with weevils ) and stay afloat !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

stgeorge: that would be true if the quality of bread available locally (superb, if you know where to look) was matched by a truly comprehensive range. Personally, I prefer to work within the breads that the pros can bake for me, but I'm aware that it's hard to get a decent loaf based on a sour-dough mix (for example), or fresh pumpernickel. If people want to make their own breads that cannot be sourced by the local boulangerie, that's just great!**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Isn't making your own bread in France rather like keeping your own cow in the back garden in the UK ?stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Phil Champ - 14 years ago

quote:I would seem that spanners are even thrown into the works even for making your own bread here - what next ?

You could try http://fairesonpain.free.fr/FAQ.htm...

Phil

Sorry no image available
Posted by say42 - 15 years ago

I use a local miller for our Type 45 and Wholemeal flours, he sells in 5 KG sacks and at about half the price of supermarkets from what I remember. More importantly is the fact that the quality is excellent, flour is far fresherthan what you can buy in Auchan etc.Our breadmachine is used twice a week at least.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 15 years ago

Thanks for the offer of the recipe but my breadmaker book has a recipe for hot cross buns which I am going to try tomorrow morning - yummie.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 15 years ago

Why don't you try eurobrits, www.eurobrits.comThey sell hovis bread flour. white and wholemeal.I always use it in my breadmaker.I also have a recipe for a hot cross bun loaf, made in the breadmaker. It was in this months goodfood magazine.You will probably find it on their website, if not,I can send it. If you would like it.JanAnything for a peaceful life

Sorry no image available

Thank you Alice for pointing me in the direction of this website - I've found some good recipes here too.  I would seem that spanners are even thrown into the works even for making your own bread here - what next ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alice-186463 - 15 years ago

This link (in French, 2nd paragraph) confirms that farine de boulangerie is difficult to find, as its reserved for bakeries.  They suggest trying a bakery or a flour mill (minoterie) at the risk of having to buy a fairly large quantity (25Kg!).

Sacré-Blé !! ... I'm happy to say I haven't got a breadmaker...but good luck anyway...

Sorry no image available

Thanks for your reply.  I do use farine de bleu in my breadmaker with good success but I have downloaded a recipe for hot cross buns which suggests that bakers flour would be better one of the reasons being that it is the whitest of the flour used for buns.  Also a lot of french pastry recipes recommend farine de boulangerie. I will try making hot cross buns and french pastry using my usual farine de bleu and see what happens.

Thanks for taking an interest.