DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where can we get good Chinese/Thai food ?

Posted by Cortec - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 11 to 16)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mikem-181687 - 16 years ago

Hi Cortec, there is a reasonable chinese resto on Bd de Lorraine, just around the corner from Morrisons Irish pub.

I think it's called Ancre de Chine.

Not fantastic, but the best in Cannes, imo.

I agree Ban noi in Mougins is good, service is sometimes awful, but food is always good.

Green curry at That Thai in Mandelieu is worth trying.

mikem

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 16 years ago

I meant the sea-side one (or, quite possibly, yet another sea-side one...). I can't swear to its authenticity, but the Salt and Ppepper Prawns are (to my palate) delicious. :-)**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 16 years ago

mike - there are two Thai restaurants in that area east of the Géant.  One is on the sea side of the road, the other is opposite on the Cagnes-side.  I was apalled at the lack of authenticity in the sea-side place.  I hope you are refering to the other one (which I've yet to sample)?

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 16 years ago

The vastly different cuisines are, indeed, lumped together as "asiatique", for much the same reason as the vastly different cuisines from the different parts of India were all typically found under the same roof in a London Indian restaurant 20 years ago: the market is as yet not fully mature and the "average" consumer is not very well informed. However, it has evolved dramatically over the last 15 years, and for the better.

However, I still find it kind of weird being offered (as Carrefour did for the Chinese New Year) a box of "asiatic" appetisers that combines spring rolls with... (!) samosas.

To return to the first question, I've always liked the Thai restaurant on the bord de mer in Villeneuve Loubet (just down from the Géant). The Ban Noi has also been good each time I've eaten there.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 16 years ago

Hear hear, why do all asian restaurants here have to be called Vietnamese/Chinese/Thai specialities restaurants and then they are probably run by Koreans or Taiwanese. Does nobody on the CdA differentiate between these vastly different cuisines?

I would also like to hear about a good Thai restaurant and a seperate Vietnamese restaurant where I can get a decent Pho soup.

always hopeful,

Thomas

Sorry no image available
Posted by CathyK-185468 - 16 years ago

The Ban Noi on the way up to Mougins is a delicious Thai restaurant - highly recommended.

Cathy