DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Where is wholemeal France?

Posted by Paul_A-184148 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 13 years ago

Please try to stay on- (or near-)topic.

Further off-topic postings will be deleted. If you wish to discuss the pros and cons of shipping online via German websites please start a new topic to do so.

Many thanks.

-----
Forums Administration

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

Paul_A, I don't mean to be a killjoy or dwell too much on this off-topic tangent, but a new electric boiler for providing hot water and heating?? Are you sure?  There are gas boilers, kettles, electrically-heated hot water storage cylinders, electric storage heaters, electric radiators and electric oil-filled radiators...but I've not heard of an electric boiler that can provide both hot water and heating?  Equally and for many boring reasons, maybe this isn't quite the kind of item that you should source from another country via the net.  Unless of course, Miss Varna can assure us that she has already equipped many homes on the CDA with cheap electric boilers from somewhere like www.elektrische-boilers.de...! J

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul_A-184148 - 13 years ago

Miss Varna,

Sold!  I didn't buy the bread maker but I'm up for some online shopping from .des.  Here's some stuff I'm looking for:  Vacuum cleaner, kitchen scales, kitchen bin (I really like the ones with the pop-up lid, but they're 200 Euros here), wooden chairs for the kitchen, leather arm chairs, and....here's an unusual one, a new electric boiler (for providing hot water and heating).  Its a tall order, but I'd be more than grateful for any info!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 13 years ago

Hi Lana, hi Paul,

yes, I find that things in Germany are a lot cheaper, especially household appliances like quality vacuum cleaners, washing machines etc. I often die laughing when I see the offers for washing machines here in France - many of them are not so good brands (Far, ever heard of that outside of France?) and have 1200spins. Well, we bought ours 3 years ago, it is a Bauknecht one (i.e. very good quality) with 1400 spins and it was then only 550 Euro - so go figure.

I have just ordered clothes from www.dress-for-less.de the other day, they have designer clothes up to 70% cheaper and the shipping fees to France are very low (max. 6 Euro), for an order of min 150 Euro even FREE. Only risk here is that when clothes don't fit and you want to send them back, you have to pay the shipping fees back to Germany (but clothes aren't heavy).

Also furniture, the furniture in Germany in the big stores is sooo much nicer than here, much bigger choice and prices are also okay. I really do have trouble finding anything nice here. Okay, that is nothing you'd want to buy online maybe ;-)

What is also cheaper are cell phones. Before last christmas I bought myself a Siemens SL55, unlocked and with no subscription, just the phone. While it cost 500Euros here, I got mine for 299 :-) Again from Amazon.de who unfortunately only ship books, games, DVDs and CDs to France :(

@After-sales-service: You get a warranty of minimum 2 years on all goods (except books, video games and such). I once bought a scale from amazon.de, had it shipped to a friend in Germany who forwarded it to me. Unfortunately, I was not very happy with the item, although it was technically okay. As a customer you have the right to return a good purchased online within 14 days, for whatever reason. So I just shipped it back to amazon and got my money back without any problem :) Such thing is totally unknown in France....

Anyhow, if anyone's interested I can look for good .de-stores that do ship to France, but you need to let me know what you are looking for.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul_A-184148 - 13 years ago

Miss Varna, I told my wife about the bread making machine, I think you've convenced her....Pervinca, I'm going to test the red wine theory, I like the sound of that one.  Szozu - I've often looked at buying things over the internet from Germany, its nearly always cheaper, and I suspect the after sales service might be better than it is here.  I also find a lot of sites have english translations too.  Perhaps there's a new thread here...

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

Miss Varna,

Are there any other items that one can buy online from Germany cheaper than in France? Unfortunately, I don't speak German, so it is impossible to do a web search.

I've noticed that there are a lot of things (household linens, for example) that are much cheaper in the UK, but a lot of the businesses do not ship outside the country. I already order all my vitamins from there, as the prices here are outrageous.

Lana

Sorry no image available

Hi Pervinca, I am glad I could convince at least one person ;-)

They do sell such bread making machines at Carrefour and Darty, but the French don't really buy them so the choice is very limited and prices are pretty high :( Unfortunately the Darty-site is currently down, but IIRC they are around 100 Euros here.

Believe it or not, I bought mine from amazon.de, but unfortunately they do not ship appliances to France. If interested I could look for another German online shop who does ship to France. These machines are very popular in Germany so the choice is huge. And my manual with the recipes is in English as well :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pervinca - 13 years ago

Miss Varna - even if Paul isn't convinced, I am!  Where did you buy this fantastic bread-making appliance?

Paul -  apparently a glass or two of the red with cheese or other fatty foods actually lowers the cholesterol  or helps to keep it low. Mysteriously, the French have a very low cardiac disease rate inspite of the quantities of fatty cheeses and paté they eat - researchers reckon it's the red wine that helps!

I don't see why you can't continue to eat the baguette provided you cut down on animal fats (and palm oil) and eat lots of fruit & veg & beans, though wholemeal bread is healthier.....

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

My local "bio" has a selection of fresh pain aux céréales, so perhaps yours does too. I am particularly fond of the one with sesame seeds.

My second favourite is Monoprix, which has tastier bread than most boulangeries I've tried. There's a wide variety of different types of bread.

Lana

Sorry no image available

Jan, red wine without cheese? :-( Can't imagine one without the other really ;-)

Paul, such bread making machines only need to be filled with the premix + water, then turned on and 3.5 hrs later, out comes the fresh bread! You can also program them so that you have a freshly baked bread in the morning when you get up. Aaaand you can also make cakes and jam with it. Seriously, it is our favourite kitchen appliance and it was only 45 Euro :-) It came with a huge booklet containing recipes so you don't necessarily those premixes. Convinced? ;-)