DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

3 months on from buying our new house...

Posted by jamesh19 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

The tax office has your new address now because you probably gave it to them via your tax return (or other such correspondence) ? 

I'm guessing that your notaire either has a large paperwork backlog or sent it to the wrong address (and the new occupant didn't re-post it). If you haven't chased them upo on it, there's no real rush you see.

But hey, Leslie! You live opposite the notaire, for Chrissakes!  Take a deep breath, put on a tantric smile, walk over and start chatting to the receptionist about the weather, the price of fish and so on. On no account do this when you only have 10 minutes to spare, however.  Be supremely patient and serene, wait for her 'phone to stop ringing for the 18th time... and don't leave till you have her solemn promise that your file will be dealt with within the next 48hrs!!  You'll wonder why you didn't do this before...

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 13 years ago

No 6,

we do receive our tax bills at our new address, but of course, like you, the first year we did not as the address was not updated. It has been updated now for over a year, so do you think then that perhaps I do not get any money back from the notaire from the purchase of our flat? Or did they send it to old address, it came back and then they just did nothing further until we contact them?

thanxs

Leslie

Sorry no image available

Well, thank ye all.. glad to be of help, and good luck with those refunds!

Just a P.S. concerning Leslie's idea of enquiring at the Mairie - no, the Mairie is really not concerned with property transfers. Your local tax office which collects your taxe foncière (centre des impôts fonciers) and the land registry office (bureau du cadastre - usually these 2 offices are not far from each other) are involved, however, and the Notaire will have recorded the change of ownership with them.  So, if you're wondering why you're still not receiving any Taxe Foncière bills for your new property two 2 years later on, you'll need to sort out it out there (I had to!).

Come to think of it, formally advising your change of address is crucial in France. You need to advise both your notaire and your tax office(s) in writing when buying/selling.  In my sad little case, I did get back to my notaire's PA to ask why on earth she had sent my refund and deeds to my old address: she simply looked up her records and quoted my old address, the one we had given her when we first contacted the notaire. Despite being perfectly aware of the status of our house sale & purchase transactions (and very efficient with it all, too), she simply wouldn't have dreamed of updating the address without a formal written notification. She wasn't being awkward, it's just the way the French are indoctrinated with tons of administrative protocol (and are not paid to think!)

Sorry no image available

No.6,

Thank you for that advice. The notaire funny enough has his office just across the street from where we live, and I would have thought he would have sent the money on to us here, but you are right, you never know! I will certainly be smiley and charming in order to find out what I need.

Regards,

Leslie

Sorry no image available
Posted by jamesh19 - 13 years ago

Thanks No. 6. Very helpful...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Riviera fan - 13 years ago

Hi No. 6. Thanks for all your comments, very helpful. I `m over there in October so will pop in to see them. but will be careful to be pleasant, not that I`m not a pleasant guy anyway. RegardsAAW

Sorry no image available

Leslie: a simple 'phone call (or smiling visit, even) to the Notaire's secretary to check if the final accounts were issued re: your purchase (it helps if you quote the numéro de dossier or affaire) might be the best thing to do, especially after 2 years' waiting.  Equally, the deeds of the property (if applicable) are sometimes sent out with the final account, so yes, you should check! 

Also, if you didn't notify him/her of your change of address in writing after you moved in, it's entirely possible that the notaire has sent the cheque to your old address. Crazy, I know, given that (s)he's just handled your sale/purchase perhaps, but in France, especially in this region, they never presume that you actually live in the property you own..  This happened to us, actually: the cheque was in fact sent to the house we had sold: luckily, our buyers sent it on to us...

A tip, if I may: don't go screaming in there claiming that the notaire has owed you money for the last 2 years; simply express mild concern that the dossier may not have been finalised (it's the paperwork that counts!) - you'll be lent a more sympathetic ear, believe me!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Orbit-197174 - 13 years ago

Me too, I received a cheque out of the blue 9 months after the sale for 900 euros, I had no idea I had over paid, I never questioned it and banked the cheque!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by ifs-194624 - 13 years ago

We have just received a cheque for 450 euros or so from our notaire.  It has arrived 3 years 9 months after purchase!  But for sure we weren't expecting it!

Sorry no image available

We were told also that we would get money back. We were not told how much though. It has been 2 years now and we have received nothing. Should we call the notaire and find out? Is there another way of finding out if money is due us, say from the Marie?

Thanks,

Leslie