DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

A Christmas Stuffing !!

Posted by stgeorge-182529 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I'm insisting on another large bird this Christmas but we've fallen out over the stuffing ! My new wife says she's fed up with celery and walnut , chestnut and fois gras , and as for sausagemeat she says we are in France now and it was something introduced by the missionaries for the British !

I'm a bit stuck therefore , not really knowing how to best please her over this Christmas stuffing question - any suggestions ?

stgeorge

Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 14 years ago

385 stuffing recipes here http://www.epicurious.com/s97is.vts?action=filtersearch&filter=recipe-filter.hts&collection=Recipes&ResultTemplate=recipe-results.hts&queryType=and&keyword=stuffing&submit.x=18&submit.y=8&submit=submitLife's too short, get a KFC Bucket

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lineker-190356 - 14 years ago

are we all invited??

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

A friend has just turned up from the UK with a brace of pheasants , with instructions to hang them from the funnel up till the 24 th December . The feathers can then be stripped off easily and a suitable stuffing ( fois gras , chestnuts , armagnac ) administered , as by this time they'll be more than ready ,for roasting . I'm informed that this northern European dish will go down well with everyone - suggestions of a decent red wine to go with would be appreciated - thanks !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available

Paris - I was probably going the route you suggested , but now the Dutch have to be catered for as well , and I've been left in a turmoil !! The peasoup suggestions are fine but maybe the Dutch like their birds stuffing differently from the English and French . What about the basting part , or do I just cover it with foil until its nearly time to pull it out ?

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by paris-191250 - 14 years ago

I would say st G just stuff the bird as you think right don't worry about traditions, english, french whatever armagnac, cognac a big bird just needs turning over and a good homemade stuffing,  forget about the packets.

Happy Christmas

Paris

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the recipé Jan ( I would try not to use a packet but make my own ) - it now turns out that she wants a different stuffing around the breast area - a friend suggested mixing a small glass of Armagnac with the ingredients to help keep it all moist as turning a large bird over can lead to complications .

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jan-181414 - 14 years ago

My Favorite is this..

I packet Sage and Onion stuffing mix
250gr Sausage meat
1 egg
and some freashly grated nutmeg

Mix it all together. It's much easier to use your hands to mix
You could also add some chopped chestnuts.

A tip for cooking your turkey..
Normally when the turkey is cooked the breast meat is dry and the underneath is nice and moist. So turn it over. Put the bird breast side down in the pan so that all the juices run down through the breast, keeping it nice and moist. Then about 1hr before the end turn it over to brown the top

Jan

Anything for a peaceful life