DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

A plastering question

Posted by bkboss-189534 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bkboss-189534 - 14 years ago

Thanks a million Mike, I will give it a try.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

For a polished 'off the trowel' look I use a lime based mortar, it's dear but is mega just out of the bag. Can be finished pretty much any way you like but a wet trowel makes it super smooth.

It's a Decia / Vicat product called 'Mortier Batard de renovation a la chaux'.  Which if you don't ahve french means it's a bastard combination of cement and lime. Voila.

It's in yellow 25kg bags. I find it better than it's sister product that's designed for coating as I find it's very much stronger and more crack resistant. Of course there's no mixing involved.

You can get it from certainly Leroy merlin and possibly different branches of C Bona, my local doesn't stock it but most places seem to.

Regards,

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by bkboss-189534 - 14 years ago

Thanks for your reply Mike. I have been asking others if they have found the equivalents and the reply is always "no". There are various plasters that the French use but none of them give a polished finish 'off the trowel' and require sanding. Have you found a particular brand that you can polish finish by trowel. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

http://www.weber-broutin.fr

In a word...brilliant!

You can pick up a copy of 'Le Guide' from Ciffreo Bona, Materiaux Reunis or SoSaCa. If you have no french don't worry as it's clear as day. All the products are listed in easy to use order with mixing, application and other necessary info.

Regards,

Mike