DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

A question about snakes ...

Posted by MamaB - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MamaB - 6 years ago

Thank you all for your response, phew! Just a friendly bug eater then :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Angelinthewings - 6 years ago

Thanks for that link scts106...very useful and glad to know my memory wasn't altogether failing me! :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sctsl06 - 6 years ago

Hi,
It's harmless and wont grow much bigger, see the link: http://www.serpentsdefrance.fr/Couleuvrelisse.php

Sorry no image available
Posted by 785biot@gmail.com - 6 years ago

Sory Angelinthewings but the round eyes good and ellipticals (is that the word?) eyes bad is not right. A coulevre is normal harmless but a Couleuvre de Montpellier is venomous even that it teeth is vary back in the mouth and therefore normally not dangerous.

Sorry no image available

p.s. From what I see on your link he/she looks like a harmless, friendly round-eyed snake but please do check obviously :)

Sorry no image available

Double check this on the internet (I don't have time as rushing off now I'm afraid) but my children were taught in French school on a trip that "round eyes good and eliptical (is that the word?) eyes bad". The coulevre I believe has round eyes and is totally harmless and the other snake that is around that you must be aware of here is the viper.
Sorry this is a bit rushed and garbled but no time...
If you type in coulevre and vipre (sud de la France) you should be able to find lots of stuff.
Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by MamaB - 6 years ago

Wow, thanks for that 785biot, I think you are right.

Sorry no image available
Posted by 785biot@gmail.com - 6 years ago

I am no EXPERT, but it looks like a Couleuvre de Montpellier seen that a couple of times in my garden. The biggest arround 1.7 meter an very fast.

http://www.planetepassion.eu/SNAKES-IN-FRANCE/Montpellier-Snake-France.html

It is venomous