DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Above ground swimming pools

Posted by ruth.cook - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ruth.cook - 14 years ago

Many thanks Mike, that is really helpful. Unfortunately we have already purchased the rigid variety and so we will now have to ensure that it does not now become a 'permanent' structure by your description.

Regards

Ruth

www.gocannes.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Hi Ruth,

As far as I have been able to ascertain, a "temporary' pool, i.e. one that's just sitting there and was probably bought in a supermarket, does not. Wheras one that is above ground and have been landscaped to become a permanent fixture does. Perhaps by using some sort of decking or back-filling. All in-ground pools require not planning permission in our sense of the word, but a 'Permis de Construire' which is a much simpler thing to organise.

The rigid type can easily be seen as a permanent fixture as it's pretty difficult to take them down without destroying them. After you take them down usually the steel sheet is often stretched at the mounting holes and almost never fits back together again in a sound way. The wooden variety is better but always smaller and more expensive, and you definitely will not want to take it apart. Your neighbours will be aware of this I'm sure.

It appears that your best and simplest measure is to buy one of the blue plastic blow up jobs, they're quite good and I see lots of my French neighbours popping them up and down in the most unlikely of places.

Auchan and Carrefour have a 5.4 metre circular for abot 500Euro and once you have a flat space take no time to commission.

My advice would be that if you buy an above-ground pool, take no measures to make it a permanent fixture as their materials and construction are too unreliable and will give you untold problems later if you can't access the entire thing.

Mike