DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

ADSL for 3 months?

Posted by rosetta-185721 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

As a matter of interest, I wonder if the Tiscali connection is "degrouped"

That might explain why the direct access to the Wanadoo system didnt work

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 14 years ago

hi Legend,

in fact, I've just set up a manual ADSL connection to Tiscali and connected through that. It asked for a phone number but I just skipped to the next page and gave my Tiscali login and it works!

Odd that I can't use my Wanadoo setup the way you do, though. I tried it again and it connected half way, then gave a message saying: La connexion n'a pas etre etabli. Le service demande est peut etre surcharge, retentez une novelle connexion. si le probleme persiste, verifiez vos parametres d'identification. Clicking on the Aide button tells me to check my parameters (they are fine) and that if the problem persists  it's possible that my account is not activated. Running the Diagnostic says: impossible de se connecter a la mire (691) The Aide there says: votre ligne n'est pas activee.

Obviously, it is cos I have just connected through Tiscali and the problem has been there all day as I tried the wanadoo connection this morning - never had the surcharge message before.  Anyway, I'm in with my Tiscali credentials so there's no problem. Thanks for the offer of help - much appreciated.

Ro

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Well seeing as I advised you into this situation, I'll offer whatever help I can.

quote:tried to log in with my Wanadoo parameters, but no can do - tells me the line is not activated

What is it exactly that "tells" you this?  What is the exact error message?

quote:Presumably the modem and drivers should be OK as they worked on my wanadoo account,

Yes of course - the modem and drivers continue to work together (USB connection to your PC) and are independent of the Internet operator or of a move from one place to another (some exceptions for the Freebox - but that is not your case).  There is no need to install special Tiscali software because all you want is basic connectivity.

All I can say is that this SHOULD work. Indeed it DOES work for me at the homes of many friends and acquaintances where I've needed to temporarily connect a computer to my own ISP acounts as part of helping with home network installations. 

quote:so I'm hoping setting up a connection manually to Tiscali will do the trick but there are no details on their web site re. the phone no. etc

ADSL doesn't use a target "phone no." per se.  Although you do have to pass through a kind of "dial up" connection rigmarole, it does not actually do any dialing so there is no number to be entered anywhere.  Quite simply, you use a pair of data - the account identifier and the password.  The account identifier specifies which network the DSLAM connects you to.  Procedures for establishing a manual dial up network connection differ from one Windows version to the other so before I could tell you more, I'd need to know more details of your setup.  Send details by e-mail if you like.

Sorry no image available

I thought the ADSL line and the ISP were separate, so that you should use the Tiscali use/pass to login on the ADSL line but you could still use the Wanadoo parameters for email and so on.

Tony

Sorry no image available

Well, finally got my Tiscali line connected and tried to log in with my Wanadoo parameters, but no can do - tells me the line is not activated - presumably Wanadoo knows that this is not their line. I don't want to mess up my wanadoo setup by installing Tiscali and anyway, have not received the installation disks. Presumably the modem and drivers should be OK as they worked on my wanadoo account, so I'm hoping setting up a connection manually to Tiscali will do the trick but there are no details on their web site re. the phone no. etc. Can anyone help?

Ro

Sorry no image available

Wanadoo offer a "free" dial in number where you pay for the telephone call.  You just have to register to get it.

Both Wanadoo and Free dial-in are very slow and unreliable.  I rarely got more than 30kbps (4 kBps) max when I tried it.

Tony

Sorry no image available

yes, I have their access libre service and I think you can use this on any line, but I need an ADSL connection.

Ro

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 14 years ago

Are you certain that Wanadoo doesn't offer a dial-up number for a normal modem when you subscribe to their ADSL service?  I seem to remember Free does, but maybe it is only accessible from the telephone line that the ADSL uses (ie for use from your home when the ADSL network goes down).

Sorry no image available

Excellent - thanks so much for your help (and patience!) - it's really appreciated

Ro

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

quote:Do you mean that I can use my normal wanadoo login without having to install the new Tiscali/Tele2 software, only using the line?

Yes.  That is exactly what I mean

quote:If I take out another contract for ADSL 512 with Tiscali or Tele2, why not just use that?

Because it is possibly more convenient for you to leave your computer setup with the current software for connection dialing and e-mail accounts etc.

quote:Can I cancel without charges because I'll never actually have logged in with the Tiscali credentials?

Yes.  Your cancellation is without concern for whether you actually used the credentials or not.  You simply cancel because it suits you.  Be sure to give a full month's notice and cancel by LRAR.