DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

adsl idiot

Posted by barbara-180189 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by barbara-180189 - 14 years ago

Thanks legend, will be trying your instructions later, when its quiet, and I can concentrate, wish me luck, regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Barbara;

First of all - Congratulations on the SONY laptop Wanadoo WiFi setup!  That is how networking on home PCs it is SUPPOSED to work but sadly your experience still remains rather exceptional (as witnessed by the Dell "adapter agony")

Assuming that your Dell has Windows XP on it (if not, e-mail for further instructions);

Start out WITHOUT your WiFi card in your Dell laptop.  That will simplify things at first.Show your current adapters by doing the following: Start>Control Panel (at this point you may need to click on the item which says "Switch to Classic View) , and then... > Network ConnectionsThis will produce a page showing a number of network icons.  To make sense of them you go to the menu bar of that page and you select View > Arrange Icons by > TypeThis will produce an orderly list of your network configurations and under the category called "LAN or High Speed Internet" you will probably see quite a few - how many do you have in this category and what are they called?You will probably find that there are a number of things listed in that category that you do not understand.  You can safely disable them by right-mouse-click and then "Disable" as a menu option.  Do this until you have fewer than six.Now follow the same procedure that you followed on your SONY laptop - add the WiFi card to the DELL as per whatever instructions you have and then when all is finished, follow the same steps 2 to 4 above to see if you see the new adapter.In addition to seeing the new adapter under the LAN category, you should also see the auto-discovered Wanadoo gateway in the Internet Gateway category.

e-mail if this is too complicated or if you need further help.

Cheers,