DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

ADSL via AOL

Posted by gareth-182148 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

I have posted exactly the same comment re AOL.  I live in 06560 and FT categorically tell me 'non'.  Nor can they tell what the criteria are for a trigger point based on demand,  nor do they keep records, so how do they know what the demand is?  When I asked them this I got the normal public servant 'c'est comme ca'. (Which makes me think the country might run more smoothly tomorrow when they are all on strike!)

I would be extremely wary of AOL and their sharp business practices,  having been caught by them in the UK I do not propose to repeat the experience here.

As DavidL pointed out,  only FT have access to the local loop, therefore they determine whether or not ADSL is available.  So I think you (we!) have to live with our 45,333 connection speed!

If anyone has further information or knowledge, please post.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 15 years ago

I'd be suprised if AOL could supply ADSL if France Telecom/ Wanadoo say your number is not covered

I wouldn't have thought you would have to cancel if they cannot supply. Next time you speak to them tell them your phone number and mention that everybody else says its impossible for you to get ADSL so why do they think its possible.

Double check with France Telecom to make sure that your exchange/ tel number cannot recieve ADSL before contacting AOL, also see if it is scheduled to be upgraded at any time in the future just in case.

As France Telecom is still a public co. I doubt if anybody else has access to the exchange so ADSL can only be enabled via France Telecom but please correct me if I'm wrong.