DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Advanced French classes - any recommendations?

Posted by abc123-183592 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MrFence - 13 years ago

I have had private lessons with Jean-Francois from Riviera Languages, having had three previous tutors who could not keep me motivated because my pace of learning was too slow, I can recommend J-F. Not cheap, another good reason to learn quickly! He does travel to your office / home though. His portable number is 06 15 335 421.MrFence

Sorry no image available
Posted by meerkat-189541 - 13 years ago

Hi,

I followed classes at the Collège International de Cannes, and for my writing I decided to do the six DELF exams (Diplôme d'Études en Langue Française). For that they offered special classes where everyone was very motivated. You can prepare them in private lessons too. The exams go from relatively simple to rather complex. The good thing is they are very structured, and they give you a deadline to reach your goals. Half of them is dedicated to writing, half of them to speaking.

If those are really too simple for you, you can try the DALF exams. The exams were relatively simple for me, which ment I could totally concentrate on the spelling and the degree of formality in the spoken exams.

for more info: http://french.about.com/library/bl-delfdalf.htm

Good luck,

Meerkat

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

My personal experience is based on teaching English for six years and learning Portuguese as a fluent Spanish speaker: Find yourself a good private teacher and work on your weak points--you already know what they are. In the end you will save yourself a lot of money and improve at a rapid pace. In group classes you will waste lots of time working on other people's problems and may even finish the course without having reached your goal.

To improve your written French, have your teacher assign you a topic to write about in your spare time and then go over it in class. Never write in English and then translate into French. You must think directly in French. It's OK to use a dictionary for any words you may be lacking, but it's best to use a French dictionary whenever possible; for instance, when you are not sure if the word you want is the correct one. For writing, I also suggest using a thesaurus to improve your vocabulary. If you use English Word for writing in French on the computer and have installed the French add-on, there is already a built-in thesaurus.

Lana