DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Advice Needed : Is it worth getting a survey done?

Posted by pebbles-183673 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

There are a number of important things to be looked at when buying an apartment concerning the structure and utilities. Do not be brushed off by the Estate Agent !! You don't say whether the apartment is old or newish, but if old - the electrical wiring, the fusebox, modern plug fittings on decrepit and dangerous sockets, lead pipe or original plumbing,old taps on wash basins and sinks ( no spares anymore for some of these fittings),signs of damp or leaks on walls or floors, window frames if painted wood - look for rot and condensation damage, condition of the shutters and when last painted,peeling wallpaper or missing plaster, heating circuits such as radiators, the state and age of the gas heater if there's one, signs of roof deterioration,state of the floors if on plaster and lath below rather than concrete beams ( ask or it may be obvious), marble or tiles that no longer seem to be stuck down, and general condition overall. Also check when the outside facade is due to be renovated/painted - the co-proprietaires pay for this !! Check the charges, usually trimestrial and see something on paper from the Syndic via the Estate Agent.

If a newish apartment, many of the above won't apply, but still be careful - hidden problems which no one wants to speak about till it's too late ! Much of this is common sense and observation - you should make a checklist and if in any serious doubt, employ a surveyor, but not one recommended by the Estate Agent. Not forgetting that you are legally bound to have 3rd party ( or more ) Insurance on the apartment, check with them for what are the minimum requirements. The Banks don't really care and usually only ask for photos and the location - it's their money you're using for the mortgage but total interest on a 12 year loan amounts up to more than you think! Repairs and renovations are down to you, not them !!

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by kevin-189464 - 13 years ago

Hi Pebbles, I'm considering buying a little appartment and wouldn't mind getting an expert to have a quick look over it.

Did you go for a survey in the end? How much did it cost you?

Kevin

Sorry no image available
Posted by Spidey-189686 - 14 years ago

Hi Pebbles,

If you are taking a mortgage then the lender will carry out a survey on the apartment for you but it is not an in depth survey. They will basically send somebody round to have a quick look to make sure that it is worth lending the money on and you will never see a survey report for the place.

If you are worried then I would definately recommend that you have a survey carried out if only for your piece of mind, I don`t think you need to go to the expense of a full structural survey but it would be nice to know that there is no major problems with the roof or anything else which may cost you a lot of money in the future. Its difficult to say where you would stand with a survey if anything happened which was not pointed out, most surveyors have insurance for this eventuality but it would be a case of proving negligence in the future.

I have heard that Riviera Home Inspections are very thorough in their work and have been recommended to me on more than one occasion.

Good luck

NEVER FAR AWAY

SPIDEY