DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Advice re connecting old laptop to Internet

Posted by MikeP-180526 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Mike ...

I think that sums it up.  I bought that machine precisely because it was heavy and solid with a good well built feel to it.  Not like the flimsy stuff you get now with fairy keyboards and so on. 

I bought a newer machine for Internet use etc,  and try as I would I could not find anything that came near the build quality of that old Toshiba.  A bit like comparing a Fiat to a Merc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Having been the proud owner of that exact machine running 3.1 and later a creaking Win98se, I finally gave it the task of office doorstop. Yes it will run but you better have a busy life so that you have things to do while it's busy, which is a lot of the time.

I now only use the trusty tosh to run some old DOS diagnostic stuff and it's been cleansed of everything Gates. This is does exceedingly well. It's also gratifying to throw it across the room and take bets on whether it still works.......it does.

As for the demands of a current PC user............forget it. In car analogy terms it's an original Volkswagen Beetle, but if it runs you'll still expect to drive to Paris in it, with the air-con running, at 130kph, with 4 passengers and their luggage.

That's what an old Tosh running Win98 with tcp/ip, adsl and IE6, Outlook et al, will be trying to do.

Mike

Sorry no image available

John that is really kind of you,  but unfortunately I have already given it to a friend in Madrid and he now wants to use it for Internet,  but I am making the enquiries on his behalf as he speaks no Spanish, so he can't get any information there,  and knows even less about computers than I do .

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 14 years ago

If you don't manage to get it working with Win95 or Win98, I wouldn't mind having a go at getting Linux running on it for you. The first Google search result for 'T2100CS' is a page telling you how to set up Linux on a T2100CS (albeit using some fairly old distributions of Debian and Red Hat), so it should be possible ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by svinto-188665 - 14 years ago

I would get a DSL router, that sets up "virtual" IP addresses. That way you can connect the old machine and a new one once you decide on getting one on the same DSL line. Set network settings to DHCP and hook up the old computer via Ethernet (internal if it has it or PCMCIA card). A router shouldn't be more than 40-50 Euros and an Ethernet PCMCIA shouldn't run you more than 20 (but only needed if you don't have internal ethernet). Never worked with windows so I don't know all inns and outs but I am sure someone else can enlighten you if you go this way.Good Luck!Fredrik

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

T2100CSs aren't that old. Type II cards will work, as will Windows 98...**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

Before you run out and buy a PCMCIA card check it will fit - previous experience shows that there are 2 types of PCMCIA cards. My old P120 laptop had one of the first types and it was impossible to fit the type 2 cards in to it.

Win 95 should run ok on a decent 486/100 - as to win 98, maybe you can only try.

Sorry no image available

Thanks to all of you who provided information,  which I will pass on to the interested party. 

I wonder if that computer is up to running Windows 98 etc?  I've been told it would be like flogging a dead horse ....!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

It's certainly possible, and also viable, although ADSL might be something of a challenge - remember that back when your Toshiba was brand new, people were connecting to the Internet using such hardware!

Firstly, you may want to upgrade to Windows 9x, because it will have better driver support for modems and, most importantly, because you can get up-to-date anti-virus software for it. Given the choice, I'd pick Windows 98SE, but anything from Windows 95 on will provide a more flixible platform that Windows 3.x.

Nex, decide whether you need the laptop to connect independently, or sharing another computer's connection (your main desktop PC, say).

If the former, you either need an internal PC Card (formerly PCMCIA) modem with drivers for your operating system or - ifyou're not planning on exploiting the laptop's portability - an external modem that can connect to the computer's serial port. Then simply root around on the Internet for instructions on how to configure Dial Up Networking.

For the latter, you'll want an Ethernet PC Card (again with the right drivers for the OS) unless the Toshiba has built-in networking. Your other PC will also need a network card/port, and you'll need to connect them via a hub or with a "crossover" cable. Make sure the Internet connection on the "host" PC is configured for sharing and that you have given the "client" laptop appropriate permissions. If the network is set up right, then the laptop should have access to the same connection (DSL or whatever) as the main machine. If the PC really IS running Windows 3.1 (rather than 3.11, "Windows for Workgroups") then you WILL need to upgrade the OS for this option.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by WelshNotEnglish - 14 years ago

You'd probably have to upgrade your version of Windows... not sure of any ADSL modems that are compatible under Win 3.1 but if you've got a 486 you could go for Win9x or Linux (if you're up for a challenge!).