DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Aer Lingus flights to Dublin

Posted by ESS-209984 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by liddane-276028 - 6 years ago

Lenio is of course correct. I had forgotten Zurich which is a greay choice since the Swiss are not notable participants in rugby. Accordingly the prcices from there - as well as Geneva, or even Barcelona Spain, might be comparatively low, whereas Paris, Lyon, Nantes, Bordeaux, as well as Nice (all Aer Lingus routes) may very well be higher that weekend than any other.

Just as hotels check out forthcoming events in their area for the next year or so, and adjust their overnight prices accordingly, airlines too have staff scouring the type of event at each destination they fly into which might attract high-paying traffic.

Sometimes for football events, it is the day before and the day after the game that are astronomically-priced. However, if you can get away earlier and fly in on the Thursday before and the Tuesday after the match, you might save enough to pay for the extra hotel nights you will incur.

I'd rather do that than give it to an airline!

Sorry no image available
Posted by lenio-282703 - 6 years ago

As Liddane has pointed out, expect to pay a premium for flights on rugby weekends. Another travel option is taking Swiss via Zurich.

Sorry no image available

ESS wrote...

My point is you can book London to Dublin NOW for May next year (with Aer Lingus). So why not Nice , unless they are dropping the route?

My reply...

Are Lingus owns its own slots at Heathrow which must be used each day from now until whenever, and in any event, London-Dublin is a historical route for commercial and strategic reasons.

I would not be surprised if you could book London-Dublin from now to eternity.

Nice is a non-strategic route. Some years it operates daily all year round - other years it operates every second day in Winter (I think that is the schedule for the coming season).

A lot of Irish people seem to own property on the Cote d'Azur and indeed Aer Lingus also operates a Nice-Cork route with a lesser (twice-weekly) frequency, and I note Ryanair also fly Dublin-Nice on a daily basis, so there is obviously a demand

They have yet to decide the schedules for next summer but I presume it will be daily again for the summer (as it has been for some years now).,

But in any event, it will still not be bookable until the end of the year.

And of course, like all airlines, the price on the weekend that something like the Heineken final is being played, will be costed accordingly.

(Just try and book BA Paris-London the day that Wimbledon opens for example!)

Indeed that may be your problem with the current Nice-London-London-Dublin route charge for that particular date. in that somebody has already worked out what the market wil bear for that weekend. Accordinglyyou may not save all that much by waiting to find out what they will be charging Nice-Dublin.

And then again you might - it is a gamble you have to take.

Or you could wait for Ryanair to decide what its schedule and price strategy will be.

Of course, if you were to travel first to a non-rugby playing country (which eliminates the UK for example), you might find flights to Dublin on that weekend to be comparatively cheap.

Lots of Irish fans travelling to the soccer World Cup many years ago for example, discovered that flights from airports in non-participating countries such as Scotland, were remaining low, whereas from Dublin, they had gone astronomical.

Perhaps Milan-Dublin that weekend might be at normal rates? Or Bonn-Dublin? Or Frankfurt-Dublin?

Just an idea.....

But I rarely have an original ideas, so if I've thought of it, there is probably some clerk in some airline right now saying - how much should we be charging extra for Nice-Bonn or Nice-Frankfurt that weekend so as to make some money on the match?

Sorry no image available
Posted by ESS-209984 - 6 years ago

My point is you can book London to Dublin NOW for May next year (with Aer Lingus). So why not Nice , unless they are dropping the route?

Sorry no image available

ESS wrote...

Are Lingus should understand this... And release all their routes at the same time!

My reply...

But they will - all routes will presumably be released in December, so nobody will be at an advantage over you. But of course, the dates you want may still be comparatively expensive as airlines also tend to know which dates are saleable, and price accordingly.

Airlines generally release their non-shedhuled routes every six months, and Aer Lingus will presumably do the same.

As regards Ryanair, I do not think you can book their 2013 routes a year in advance either, although I do presume they too will serve Nice.

I think getting from Nice to Dublin will not be a problem - but the price may be somewhat inflated for the dates you need.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ESS-209984 - 6 years ago

That is as maybe ... But in the meantime the cost of alternatives continues to rise. BA through London on our dates is over 800 euros for two. Must be May holiday in the UK or something.The longer I leave it, the more expensive this little trip is going to be! Are Lingus should understand this... And release all their routes at the same time!

Sorry no image available

Last year (if my memory serves - which it usually doesn't), Aer Lingus issued its summer schedule in December, while this year, they issued their winter schedule in May, so I would think it probably means that you may have to wait some time to confirm that the flight will take place.

However, given that they are continuing their flights to and from Nice during the winter would seem to suggest they are unlikely to drop the route altogether.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lenio-282703 - 6 years ago

I'm guessing you mean May 2013:) Aer Lingus changes its Nice timetable at the end of March every year. They probably haven't worked out the post-March 2013 timetable as yet as they are waiting for information on all summer routes before cutting/increasing activity on the various routes.