DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

airline delays

Posted by gina-185295 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bluesky-189167 - 14 years ago

The point is that before RyanAir and Easyjet flights were astronomical and did indeed have to include a saturday night to get any discount. By the way...I am flying to London in the morning. Sod's law after all my defending Easyjet there will be a lenghty delay

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Twizzel is correct in saying that you do not have to include a Saturday night to get BA's cheap fares.  However they do have a two night minimum stay,  a restriction which does not apply to BMI or EasyJet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 14 years ago

Let's not get snippy, people; please pause and think before posting.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bluesky-189167 - 14 years ago

If the last reply is a comment to my posting, I should like to suggest that people actually read the postings properly before making a comment! It is a fact that before "no-frills" airlines it was very expensive to not stay over a Saturday night.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Twizzel-185350 - 14 years ago

That should have read you do not have to include a Sat night to get cheap fares on BA

Sorry no image available
Posted by Twizzel-185350 - 14 years ago

I would just like to add that people should check their info, before posting comments, you do not have to include a Sat night to get their cheep fares.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Certainly sounds as if you've had more than your share of bad experiences with EasyJet,  perhaps I've been lucky.

Your Sunday night experience sounds like a nightmare, resulting from incompetence.  The airline would call it operational reasons,  they probably had an a/c go tech somewhere resulting in the crew scheduled to operate your flight being stuck elsewhere.  In an ideal world they'd have had a back up crew,  and at their main ops base, Luton, they did have.  At Gatwick they didn't.

This is the main problem with the 'budget' carriers,  they do not have the back up resources that the conventional operators have.  Your experience highlights that problem.  They save money by not having back up aircraft and crews sitting around waiting for an event, they use everything to the maximum, and if something goes wrong it impacts the whole network.  (Rather like British Snail where the wrong type of leaves on the track in Surrey can impact the next day's Aberdeen to Glasgow service!).

Because the budget carriers do not have interline agreements with other carriers for mutual acceptance of tickets, you are on your own.  If you are on a scheduled carrier,  there is interchangeability - up to a point - but you pay for that privilege, the same as you pay for Frequent Flyer programmes, interline facilities, airport lounges, cuppa tea, etc.

It boils down to the old Afrikaans saying,  'goedkoop is duurkoop' (the cheap buy is the expensive buy) - often true.  Interesting, because the Dutch say : "If you're going to buy s**t,  buy the cheapest s**t you can get!

I'm still happy to use EasyJet - maybe until I have a problem,  but at least we all have a choice!

Sorry no image available
Posted by fidav - 14 years ago

The reason the easyjet flight from Gatwick on Sun night was delayed was due to lack of staff. They had to fly the pilot over (on BA) from Paris and then recruit staff from Luton - who had to catch a taxi on the M25 to Gatwick ... on the last Sunday night of the summer school holidays in Britain (need I say more!) So this was not due to weather at all ... but incompetence!! Surely they should have enough staff available for flights that they have scheduled months in advance!?

They may not be late all the time ... but the four times I have made the mistake of using easyjet, they have been late!!! Usually both ways, but this time the flight there lulled me into a false sense of optimism about the return flight!!

They only refund tickets if they are 4 hours late in departing... just so happened we were 3 and a half - so no refund there! Also I have a feeling that any sensible travel insurer will have in their small print something about not paying up if the plane is delayed due to the inability of the airline to provide staff (unless they were on strike!?!).

The solution, I thought was to only ever fly the first flight of the day, but have discovered those can be delayed by several hours too!!

Rather use a real airline, thanks! I will not be swayed by any arguments, my choice has been made after 4 poor shows by easyjet! They have had their chance with me!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sarab-182150 - 14 years ago

I know because I used to live in London and therefore used all transport offered numerous times, but in case anyone doesn't know, the 'normal' trains from Gatwick to Victoria take only a little longer (about 8 mins?) than the Gatwick Express but cost much less.  When going back to Gatwick in the summer (for a BA flight home...) it cost GBP 18 for two adults and two children.  The children were GBP 1 each.  I don't have any kind of travel card, just went to the ticket office and asked for the cheapest tickets for Gatwick.

And I have no real problem with the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow.  I commuted from W14 West London to the City for a decade or so and if one adopts the philosophy not to get on a tube unless a seat will be available without stressing to reach it, then generally the journeys are ok. The mad masses generally try to force their way onto the first train to come in, leaving the next relatively free.

Having said that, my preference is to use the Gatwick and Heathrow Expresses... But this is laziness and the desire just to end the journey in the quickest way possible.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 14 years ago

Don't put yourself down, MikeP. I found your posting informative and interesting and have thought this about other posts of yours that I have seen on this site.

Just so that this posting ties in with the thread...

I fly to the UK and back (for 'leisure' reasons) about four times a year and always use Easyjet. As previously mentioned, the site is easy to use and the prices are low. You know what to expect and sometimes this means delays but you put up with them. On the odd occasion I have had cause to contact Easyjet by phone, they have always been cheerful and helpful and have always sorted out my problems with minimum fuss.

If I was to fly to the UK on business then maybe I'd think of paying the inflated prices of their competitors but so long as it is me footing the bill, then cost will always be the number one priority.

Apart from that, the £1.50 flapjacks are devine.