DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Alice Telecom France Italia ADSl/phone

Posted by marmine-187669 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I am seeing more and more advertisement for this company, in which they ask you to phone 1033 for more info. I would be interested in their Alice Super, with unlimited ADSL and your phone connection for 23,95 per month.

I am hooping there are people around who have more insight and information upon this. At the moment I have France Telecom phone and Tiscali ADSL, working perfectly. But this would be cheaper. But I'm not keen of loads of problems, just to have a cheaper deal.

Thanks in advance

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jaaaine - 14 years ago

'Free' is also doing an excellent ADSL offer, check it out http://adsl.free.fr/

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

quote: A friend of mine working for France Telecom said that they will soon lower the prices too (they were not allowed to do it before). So hopefully we'll have our "ADSL bas débit" for 20 € before Christmas ;-)

We have had Tiscali ADSL for 20Eur/mth for about 6 months - since our dorpie became ADSL enabled.  France Telecom/Wanadoo are the most expensive provider for ADSL.

Sorry no image available
Posted by marmine-187669 - 14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input so far. It enabled me to make up my mind, being just a simple internet user. For the moment I will just stick to what I have and see what happens in the time yet to come.Thanks again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

No no StGeorge, forget starting again....you missed the main point in the whole topic! Excuez-moi Mike, say that again........you are also in the hills and limited to ISDN. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Well I have to say......that's made my day! For those who don't know who mike is....ask him!

I have one question for you Mike...whos your ISDN provider?

Regards,

The other of many Mikes
(But this one is also the co-owner of a pretty damn big Internet services company, but also in the hills and limited to 56K!!!!!!!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! )

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

I'll start again as we may have have got crossed lines here. I'm also no expert in the matter and will bow to superior knowledge. A friend bought back from the US a Compaq Presario X1030 with wireless Adapteur Reseau preinstalled - but only operational in the Hotspots previously mentioned or simple manual plug in configuration on my computer via a Router cable XDSL with a Wireless access. What she wanted to do was connect to Internet via a broadband connection in France via a mobile telephone with the necessary subscription. She was told that this system is not yet available in France , by 2 computer shops , the SFR shop, the Salon de Multi-Media in Nice last week and a technician informatique who works for wanadoo on the Port of Nice. However , in Viareggio , the purchase of a mobile telephone for about 200 Euros plus the 19 Euros a month subscription apparently gives you unlimited access to Internet on broadband with this computer - or have I completely misunderstood ?

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by nodel-185297 - 14 years ago

A friend of mine working for France Telecom said that they will soon lower the prices too (they were not allowed to do it before). So hopefully we'll have our "ADSL bas débit" for 20 € before Christmas ;-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

quote:My understanding is that they replace the standard pots to dsl modem with a device that also spits out WiFi.

The ones I've installed come as an external DSL/WiFi/100Base-T router. You configure the router via a browser interface (wired connection), but then you can unplug. Obviously, you need a WiFi interface (built-in, PCI, PC Card or USB) for all devices that want to operate wireless, although the fact that you've got four Ethernet ports means that your bigger boxes can also be attached by (faster and sometime more robust) wired connections.

(Also in the hills, and limited to ISDN...)

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by C J Flynn - 14 years ago

...someone mentioned WiFi?I think that the reason WiFi gets brought up - and will continue to get brought up - in ADSL conversations is that the vendors will try to upsell people into a WiFi account. Wanadoo's offering is quite good actually.My understanding is that they replace the standard pots to dsl modem with a device that also spits out WiFi. This allows more than one person to share the adsl line without having to get a switch and a bunch of cable dragged through the house. Of course, everyone needs to have a WiFi card on their computer.Seems like a good idea to me. Wish I could get it up here in the mountains.So quit yelling at St. George. By the way SG, isn't your boat in Villefranche Port de la Darse? You can wifi there.C J Flynn

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

What's WiFi got to do with it? The original question concerns a deal which combines DSL Internet connectivity with fixed-line telephone calls for a flat monthly rate. The 1033 people are offering such a package, as is 9online.

Incidentally, WiFi and mobile telephony are totally different technologies (well, not totally different, as they're both wireless...), Connecting to the Web with your cellular telephone is NOT WiFi...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

STG - why are you mentioning WiFi??   Marmine is asking about an ADSL deal coupled with POTS (plain old telephone service) for 23.95€/month.  This has absolutely nothing to do with Wifi nor with mobile phones.

The Telecom Italia France "Alice" offer IS available in france as mike pointed out.

However.... it is a pretty complex beastie particularly in the pricing.  The reason why Telecom Italia France are offering both the POTS line AND the ADSL subscription for the same price at which other ISP's offer simple ADSL subscriptions (where the POTS costs you another 12.95€ per month from France Telecom) is because Telecom Italia are on a marketing splurge, trying to capture market share while they await final stages of "dégroupage" where France Telecom will relinquish the physical line to them as required by the free market legislation.  When this happens, your 23.95/month POT+ADSL service will be changed and Telecom Italia will bill you an additional 12.95€/month for the POTS.  At this point they might well discount the ADSL service but then again they might not.

My advice:  Alice Looks good on price, it's largely an unknown animal with respect to quality for the moment.  Potential gotchas are in the installation fees and the potential for future price hikes (quite legal).