DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

ANPE French lessons

Posted by szozu - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I've heard that ANPE will send people to French language classes. I speak six languages, but my French could certainly use some improvement and I assume that a greater mastery would make me more employable. Could someone who has been through this explain to me how it works? I am married to a French national and have permission to work here.

Lana

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MartinS-188518 - 12 years ago

Message for ADThanks for your email. The course took place in a high school in Grasse. Gretta has their offices there. Look up Gretta in the phone book or contact your local ANPE for more information.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

errrrm Niceguy - go back and read the whole of this thread including the link provided on the first page. 

To get reimbursed for your time spent studying you HAVE to have a valid "titre de sejour".  This is a given for a French national but can also be possible for a oreigner if you insist.  Again - read the link.

Lana wrote:

quote:Anyway, you can't just go there and demand French classes.

Correct! strictly speaking the ANPE does not provide French classes - they provide employment services.  They will direct you to agencies/associations providing French classes if you feel (and they agree) that it would help you to become employed.  Each case is individually assessed and even if it is a clear necessity, you may have to wait several months for something to be available.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Niceguy,

Not at all, it's part of the unemployment service, so you are being paid a small amount of money to tide you over for the four months it takes to finish this full-time course. They hope that you will then become employable and a functioning member of society. There is also a literacy program for adults who speak French but have never learned to read or write correctly--or at all!

The ANPE has a web site, but most of the posted jobs are positions that no one wants to take because they are either crummy or badly paid.

Anyway, you can't just go there and demand French classes. They decide on a case-per-case basis.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by SammyT-194551 - 14 years ago

Lana-

I do have a social security number, but I'm not enrolled with ASSEDIC because I was told I wasn't allowed to.  I'm already paying for French classes, and I don't mind, but it's the other services of the ANPE that I'd like to have access to (copying CV's, proofreading my letter of motivation, etc).  If you think of it, could you ask the american in your class if she is enrolled in the ANPE? thanks.

-Samantha

Sorry no image available
Posted by Niceguy-195447 - 14 years ago

hi, it sounds bizzare that a foreigner can be paid to actually learn french!!

Surely, this can be open to abuse! Does one have to be living in france for a minimum period of time to qualify.

I would appreciate a contact number or address for this ANPE.

Does anyone know of some cheap part time  french courses available in Nice?

Sorry no image available

Samantha,

I was told by one of the administrators that some people actually pay for the class, but I believe that the rest are sent by the ANPE. Are you enrolled with the ASSEDIC? Do you have a social security number?

Lana

Sorry no image available

Thanks Lana, I was just wondering because I stopped by the ANPE the other day, but was told that (single) Americans aren't allowed to enroll.  Are all the people in your class enrolled through the ANPE, or is that just the class they sent you to? 

-Samantha

Sorry no image available

Not me, but my husband is French. There's one American in the class who is single and a Russian who also has a French husband. There is a Japanese whose history I don't know and someone from another Asian country. The rest appear to be EU citizens.

Lana

Sorry no image available

Just a question for those of you who have successfully gotten the ANPE to help you with your French classes: are you all from EU countries?

Thanks,

Samantha

Sorry no image available
Posted by stef2828 - 14 years ago

Lanas,

Hi,

Just to help you a bit in practising your French and meeting people.
I got to know a local Association called Adapt in France,

1st, 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month from 7 pm to 9 pm, there are cultural exchange: topics and free chat about living in France and elsewhere: one hour in English the next one in French

Steph