DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ants in my...

Posted by Orbit-197174 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

...lemon tree!

I've discoverd an ants nest in my potted lemon tree. There are hundreds of small black ants scurrying around in and out of the soil, some carrying eggs, long trails to and from the pot, etc. The tree is about 2 years old, about a metre or so in height. Will they harm the plant? Should I get rid of the ants (preferably), and if so how? Any suggestions please!
Thanks

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 13 years ago

...the ants or the children?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kidloco-198915 - 13 years ago

How,s it goin mate.I usually use some johnsons baby powder on the blighters.I think it's probly the texture and not the content that freaks themwhatcha

Sorry no image available

Hello Orbit

We have small lemon and mandarin trees on our balcony. They both blossomed well this year and the fruits started to appear around mid September. Unfortunately no lemons in our Christmas drinks this year, as by the end of September they had all been fed to our two year old's Barbie doll, and the roots had been unearthed by our 10 month year old. We don't need ants to destroy our trees.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by Orbit-197174 - 13 years ago

Hmmmn, interesting.  Thanks for the info Reinrev.

Orbit

Sorry no image available

Hmmmn, interesting.  Thanks for the info Reinrev.

Orbit

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 13 years ago

Orbit,

Years ago we had an enormous lemon tree in the garden and I can't remember how we purchased the stuff (liquid or powder to be diluted) but we were told to paint a good bit of the trunk with this white stuff and to add a bit where we though we saw a nest. The result wasn't very pretty but the results were good and all the lemon trees we saw in our area had the greater parts of their trunks painted white.

Reinrev

Sorry no image available

Great, thanks for the advice, will go and get some Raid or similar.  I don't have any children concerns but will watch out my 2 moggies don't get too close!

Out of interest, when does the fruit start to appear, before your 2 year old swipes them?  I bought my tree last Xmas with about 12 lemons but have seen nothing since, is it true they come up at around Xmas time (hense why the plant shops sell em off then?)

Orbit

Sorry no image available

A few puffs around any of the places they emerge should do the trick. Just make sure your pets or children don't get thier hands/paws in it. Our little boy of 10 months has taken to eating the soil around our lemon tree. We never get any fruit either because our 2 year old picks them off as soon as they appear.

good luck  

Sorry no image available

Do I sprinkle it directly on the soil, or in the trail???

Thanks

Sorry no image available

The only stuff that works is the white powder. I think "Raid" is one brand. Don't bother with the silly plastic traps.

AG