DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ants in my pants...

Posted by alx-189416 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by alx-189416 - 14 years ago

lol - hmmm... back to my washing line!

I just looked around the local supermarket, and the only bayer aerosols they stock seem to be pretty nasty and kill everything including those helpful spiders which eat lost ants... wouldnt do my karma any good to be using something like that! Will keep an eye out for the "barrier aerosol" and try bay leaves in the meantime.

Great website Tony thanx!

Sorry no image available
Posted by tunnbrodsrulle - 14 years ago

K-Y gel prevents HIV so at least it is safe and sliding ants in the pants

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Harpo,

Do you mean K-Y gel?

I cant imagine what the little b*gg*rs do with it back in the nest

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by kaancd - 14 years ago

Absolutely brilliant site Tony - thanks for the tip!

Sorry no image available
Posted by harpo-187362 - 14 years ago

I use the small tubes of gel (KB?), you only put down a couple of small drops and the hungry little beasts take it home with them.  Then kills out the whole nest.  Certainly works with all the varietes of ants that appear each season in my home.andrew harper

Sorry no image available
Posted by tunnbrodsrulle - 14 years ago

yjme wonderful idea about not killing the ants. I will try it. In a book I read recently and I highly recommend, The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, a woman uses crackers to make a trail to make the cockroaches leave the house.

Sorry no image available

The aerosols work as a barrier.  You spray a barrier around a window frame or a few cms of washing line for instance and the ants dont want to cross it anymore.  You dont chase the ants already in the house with it, the spiders and lizards take care of them while you are asleep. 

It is especially good for the vertical and upside-down bits where the bay leaves fall off.

I think that used in this way it is safe enough for children and pets.  Pepper on the other hand tends to blow about and get on paws and hands and is especially irritating for the eyes.

On the other hand, this site http://pages.tipking.com/pests/tip_148.shtml 

is full of alternative tips for those who hate Bayer.  I like the one about smearing Vaseline on the walls.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

A trick my mother, a great ant lover but not when in inconvenient places, was to lay some sugar trails where she didn't mind them working, and they switched. She felt better because she wasn't killing any, but they weren't in her way! And no dangerous insect killing chemicals for other animals and kids. I'm going to try the pepper idea......or the bay leaves.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SammyT-194551 - 14 years ago

Hi Alx-

I use bay leaves (dried or fresh) and put them where ever I see the ants coming in or hanging out.  It usually clears them up in one or two days.  Funnily enough, I also read in the paper today that pepper works - same idea as with the bay leaves, just sprinkle it where ever you see them.  Both of those should be less toxic than the chemical sprays and safer for your kids/pets.

-Samantha

Sorry no image available

The ant aerosols seem to work.  You spray it around the entry points to the house and it makes the ants lose their tracks.  It takes a while for them to disappear because the ants already in the house cant find their way out.

I think it took about a week for them to disappear entirely.  The product is not especially poisonous, in any case less than the ants themselves

Tony